Where is a good place to spend Halloween this year?

‘Don’t go to the Lower East Side at 3 in the morning on Halloween, because clowns will follow you’

Halloween is right around the corner, which means you’re probably overwhelmed (or underwhelmed) by the number of Facebook events you’ve been invited to this Halloween weekend.

We asked students around campus where a good place is to spend Halloween this year, and where they went out last Halloween.

Gabriella, 19, Biomedical Engineering

“Last year I ended up going to a small friend’s thing, they threw a party in EC.  Then my friends and I ended up finding other things. There actually wasn’t much going on the day of Halloween as the day before. This year I’ll probably go down to the parade and actually experience a big Halloween.”

Michael, 19, Economics

“Back home, usually it would be friends going out, having fun.  Here… I don’t know, what is a fun place here?  I’m not really a supporter of the ‘holiday,’ so I’m more about spending the time with friends and enjoying it, while everyone else is doing the same.  I’ve actually never gone trick-or-treating or celebrated the day.”

Pia, 18, Undecided

“Probably frat parties.  Last year I went to my friend’s house.”

Kimberly, 18, Undecided

“I don’t know a good place to spend Halloween.  I’ll probably be asleep.  Last year, I went trick-or-treating.”

Mark, 20, Philosophy

“I don’t think I even have Halloween plans yet.  I might be in another state.  Yeah, I might be in Rhode Island.  Last year what did I do?… I don’t remember, I don’t recall.”

Lauren, 20, Physics

“Last year I went to the Rocky Horror Picture Show downtown- it was a great time.  It was raining and I got stuck in the subway with some clowns that were following us.  Don’t go to the Lower East Side at 3 in the morning on Halloween, because clowns will follow you.  And then we spent $60 on an Uber… so don’t take an Uber on Halloween. This year, what’s a good place to spend it? I think by a fire with some spiked hot chocolate.”

Ron, 20, Human Rights

“There’s a parade that happens downtown.  All of the most amazing costumes, like people dressed in the most ridiculous regalia, are all just walking around   You can be a part of the parade if you want, but you can also just watch. I was in it last year.  Also, Mel’s does a costume contest every year that I try to win, last year I did.  So, I’m a big believer in going and doing that as much as possible.”

Jordyn, 19, Africana Studies

“Last year I went to a Jungle Pussy concert, she had a Halloween show.  This year I’m going back home to Houston and I’m going to a haunted house.”

Columbia University Columbia Halloween NYC The Tab