Why college students should start coloring again

Crayon box with built-in sharpener optional

Stress levels in college are at an all-time high. Going to school is extremely demanding on our brains, from class time to the mass amounts of homework we are expected to do. Coupled with the intense pressure of society and our peers to be successful and involved, we hardly have time to take a break.

Well, I have great news for those of you who miss the simple days when a 64-pack of crayons made you the coolest kid in kindergarten: those crayons can now help you tackle your adult, college-induced stress.

Although coloring is different from art therapy, it has similar benefits. Coloring has been recognized to reduce stress and provide meditative benefits. When you color, your mind becomes concentrated on what you are doing and not on your worries. Anxiety levels have even been proven to drop while coloring.

Personally, I didn’t believe this could work, but I found that as soon as I started to focus on coloring, I felt myself relaxing. College has been stressful for me, and I found myself not making time for things I loved, like art.

When I discovered coloring was a quick way to relieve stress and get my art fix, I was instantly hooked. With the levels of stress in college being so high and with the little time we have during the day, coloring is a quick and easier way to relieve stress than other outlets (yoga, meditation, etc.).

It’s also an amazing creative outlet. Coloring will bring out your inner artist, and the best part is there are no rules. Color that frog purple or make your trees blue – color outside the lines if you want.

Coloring engages both hemispheres of the brain: logic and creativity. In college, classes require heavy amounts of left-brain usage (logic), but coloring allows you to explore the right side without having to do demanding art projects.

Coloring is most beneficial by yourself if you’re looking for the stress relieving benefits. However, it can be a lot of fun to do with friends as well. I’ve spent a few nights just listening to music and coloring with my roommates. So grab a silly coloring book and some friends and see what masterpieces you can create.

Because coloring has become an extremely popular activity, it’s not hard to find really awesome coloring books. I found mine at Barnes and Noble, but Urban Outfitters and almost any bookstore will also carry them. They have “adult” coloring books, but the Disney ones and other kid’s coloring books are just as fun and work just as well – and let’s be real, we’re all still kids. All you need next is that fancy 64-pack of crayons and you’ll be on your way to stress-free fun.

Clemson University national-us