Everything you know to be true if you’re from Goshen

Why don’t we have a supermarket yet?

Living in Goshen, aka middle-of-nowhere-New York, is a unique experience that only a select few can understand. It’s the type of town people would stop and say ‘hi’ to each other in the supermarket, but they don’t, because there is no supermarket.

Here are some things you know if you’re from the town:

Having to go to Chester or Middletown for groceries

Groceries fresh from not Goshen

Founded in 1788, Goshen has existed for 229  years, and it still doesn’t have a supermarket. After nearly two centuries, no one has realized that we eat food like other people. Luckily, Goshen is so small it doesn’t take long to get to the ShopRite in Chester or the Walmart or Hannaford in Middletown.

Having the best pizza

The one and only Redendos

Ok, New York City can get off its pizza high horse. We may not have a supermarket, or a movie theater, or anything, for that matter, but we do have seven pizza places. Really, though, most of them are irrelevant because everyone know’s Redendo’s is the best.

Constantly looking for deer

A Goshen-ite’s car right after a deer ran into it

It’s safe to say that our town’s greatest threat is the deer. They pop out from nowhere in the middle of the road, spy on you in your kitchen and play tag with your dog. There’s not one place they deem inappropriate to show up. But mostly they appear in the road. Why are they always in the road?

Being terrible at football

Just a sad, empty football field

Let’s be real, GHS did not win one football game, ever. Okay, maybe they did, but it was rare. On the off chance that they did, it was a big deal. Everyone knew immediately and enjoyed it while it lasted, but then we went back to expecting our team to be beaten by everyone else’s.

The luck of having the Government Center

The beautiful Orange County Government Center

Goshen is lucky to have the Orange County Government Center within its borders and it’s something we’re reminded of every time we drive through town. The building’s mold problem was super fun to deal with and the several years long construction makes it beautiful to look at. We can only hope the building looks better once construction is over.

Everyone’s obsessed with Kyle Roddey

Kyle Roddey killing it unopposed

Kyle Roddey went from middle school substitute teacher and Goshen Rec counselor to mayor. Honestly, what hasn’t Kyle Roddey done? But I’m sure it’s like that in most towns. He seems to have started a trend though, because now you don’t even need political experience to become president, let alone mayor.

The Harness Racing Museum is our claim to fame

Goshen’s only museum

Our one museum has all you need to know about harness racing. Since this town used to be famous for its horse track, it’s our source of pride, as well as the place the high school has graduation every year. The track is still in use, but the rich people from Manhattan don’t come up to bet on horses anymore like they used to in the nineteenth century.

The Legoland fight

Not happy about Legoland

Since our town has more empty space than people to fill it, Legoland has decided to fill that space with one of its parks. Now we get to look forward to noise, light, air and water pollution and having more people within the park than actual citizens. Only those from Goshen know how intense this “Two thumbs up for Legoland” vs. “Stop Legoland” debate is.

The ice cream rivalry

Trailside Treats for the win

Some say What’s the Scoop is better, but it’s clearly Trailside Treats. What’s the Scoop may have those Spongebob popsicles and a million toppings, but what beats Trailside’s weird flavors and homemade ice cream?

We all know each other

The best G-town squad there is

Whenever anything happens, the entire town will know. Whether somebody’s house has a fire or Howell’s and Sunflower form a super-cafe, everyone knows. It’s the type of place where you go to the diner expecting to see at least three former classmates, two former teachers and one family friend on an average day.

Goshen is a unique, beautiful town, but it’s got its quirks. Those of us lucky enough to have grown up there know them well enough, and the people stopping by would have a hard time missing some of them.

Bucknell University