Bucknell students hold rally against President elect Donald Trump

‘Anybody a little angry? Anybody a little scared?’

Students gathered on the Malesardi quad, outside Bertrand library tonight to hold a rally against Donald Trump’s election and to express support for one another.

The event started promptly at 6pm, as students, faculty, and their families gathered. In attendance was Dean Badal, Bucknell’s Dean of Students. The rally was co-organized by Andrew Farley and Mona Mohammed.

The aim of the event was simple: to have a “student lead rally” which allowed students to voice their feelings, concerns, etc. in front of the crowd. The mic, or megaphone in this case, was open to all who wanted to be heard.

Of the people who spoke, Andrew Farley, 21, English, gave an impassioned reading of Allen Ginsberg’s poem Howl replacing the word “Moloch” in section two of the poem with “Donald:”

“Donald whose mind is pure machinery! Donald whose blood is running money! Donald whose fingers are ten armies! Donald whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Donald whose ear is a smoking tomb!”

Speaking to The Tab after the event, Andrew said:

“To see so many students and faculty stand together on such short notice was more than inspiring. It was the affirmation of humanity, the salve of compassion we all needed after such a devastating night in American history.”

The rally was followed by an open discussion held in the LC forum at 6:30pm.

In reflecting on the events of the night, Stephen Mayer, 19, Environmental Studies and Economics, said:

“As I keep telling people, There is always hope. We must have hope. If we lose hope, then Trump truly has won.

“Yes, it was a devastating result for us all. Yes many of us will suffer, but we must continue to fight. We must show up in greater numbers and fight for our rights, our lives and for our country.

“It all starts with hope. We can not lose hope for without it, we are lost.”

Bucknell University