Inspirational chalk quotes are back on Bucknell’s campus

We thought he’d graduated, but Chalk Guy is back

This morning students all across Bucknell University woke up to inspirational, happy quotes, drawn on the pavement. This can only mean one thing – the chalk guy has returned.

Chalk guy has been a staple of Bucknell culture for a few years now.  While, the Bucknellian reported he graduated last year, it seems his successor has eagerly taken on his role. First years, having never seen his work before, were shocked to find the colorful doodles on their way to classes. The upperclass students, however, are excitedly welcoming him back.

‘Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible form of magic’ – Albus Dumbledore       In front of the library

His first appearance of the year has been diverse in both space and culture. Quoting icons from Albus Dumbledore in front of the library to Leo Tolstoy in front of the dining hall, There’s a quote for everyone, from readers to eaters.

As always, chalk guy seems to have sensed the needs of the students. He came out the same time last year for a necessary dose of positivity, and his presence is anonymous.

Completing all his work in the dark, the campus changes overnight. Pedestrians take a moment of their time as they walk to read a quote and smile. Some stop and try to figure out quotes they don’t understand or haven’t seen, while others laugh at some of their favorites, or the classics.

The quotes get denser as they approach the engineering quad, where it’s nearly impossible to walk ten steps without stepping on chalk. In front of the DANA Engineering building, the ghost used math as a metaphor with the quote “the limit does not exist”, keeping the inspiration relevant.

Next to residential halls McDonell and Swartz, he wrote “she said she could, so she did.”

Chalk guy’s goal seems to be making Bucknellians happy, but for whatever reason he does this, Bucknell is grateful to have him and we’ll be looking out for his next chalk display.

Bucknell University