Things you only know if you went to an all-girls private school

An honest look into the experience of single-sex private education

The all-girl private school journey is an incredible experience filled with wonderful people. That being said, those four years of high school are packed with quirks and adventures you wouldn't believe. The sense of family gained from this experience cannot be matched and is definitely recommended. You find the people you want to laugh, cry, sing, dance, and eat with. You find your people…all while learning some of these life skills:

Wearing a uniform

At least you avoid the struggle of picking out a decent outfit every morning.

Rushing to get into said uniform at the ring of the homeroom bell

Whipping off a sweatshirt, a scarf, changing shoes, and dashing to homeroom on time is a technical skill acquired after days and days of practice.

Writing “Jesus” as the answer on a religion test when you weren’t sure, and still getting partial credit

Bingo.

Knowing the difference between knee socks and crew socks

Get it right people.

Having your shoulders, knees, and ankles be scandalous

The nuns are glaring again.

Judging other private schools based on the plaid of their uniforms

Tartan plaid is the safest way to go.

Sharing snacks literally all the time

Smuggling coffee out of the cafeteria in the morning because food isn’t allowed anywhere else

Trust me, I'm not going to spill it – it's too precious

Not being able to wear leggings or yoga pants

So long sweet comfort…

Group messaging like crazy,

It's the only way to survive if you’re not talking to one another during class.

Wearing "gym uniforms"

God forbid someone wore booty shorts

Fitting your phone into your small skirt pocket

Seriously, can these pockets BE any smaller

Organizing a time to meet your friends in the bathroom via email so you can check your phone

Don't forget to sign out whenever you need to pee.

Leaving your guy friends to wait for you on the street because they aren’t allowed inside the building

Boys have cooties, duh

Saying you had a doctor’s appointment every time there was an all school mass

Greeting each other every Monday as if you haven’t seen one another in five years

Not to mention Friday nights when you act as if you haven’t seen each other in five years, when in reality it’s been about three hours.

Feeling lost when your best friend is absent

Having perfect attendance means always being there for your friends, but also being let down when they come down with something

Rolling your skirt up until you hear high heels coming down the hall and scrambling to bring it back down

I am pure. You saw nothing.

Sleeping in the hallways

When you're not the one sleeping, you're stepping over sleeping girls.

Carrying blankets to class

"IS THAT A MERMAID BLANKET?"

Forgetting to bring your gym stuff so you have to wear sneakers with your uniform

Savage.

Knowing kids from all over town

You will know everyone and every single one of their siblings

Memorizing your best friends’ schedules so you can walk past the room they're in

Ya know, just to make prolonged eye contact before anyone else notices

Going all out for school events because it doesn't matter who sees you being crazy

Yeah I absolutely am wearing a monochromatic outfit complete with face paint and matching lipstick, thank you for noticing.

Finding a group of people you know you can’t live without

Thank you to all my wonderful friends who helped me compile this list and who made the adventure through private school especially worthwhile.

BU