Trump’s father, who was arrested at a KKK riot, is on a BU donor ‘Honor Roll’

Fred Trump is connected to Marsh Plaza, the heart of our campus meant to honor Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fred C. Trump sprang up in the media recently as records revealed he was arrested at a Ku Klux Klan riot in New York in 1927. However, less discussed is the fact that the President’s father is also on record in the “Honor Roll of Donors” for the Marsh Plaza Renovation Project from 2000.

The Independent states that Fred Trump’s role in the 1927 “brawl” is “not clear from the context,” but also notes a Daily Star article which says the arrest of Trump and six other men was for “refusing to disperse from a parade when ordered to do so.”

While Fred Trump’s donation to BU was received several years ago, students and Twitter users are concerned that Marsh Plaza, known as the physical and spiritual center of campus, is tied to a man with this questionable and concerning history.

Among several changes listed, the Marsh Plaza renovation project of 2000, which Trump’s father is tied to, included reseting The University Coat of Arms and sealing The Free at Last sculpture. The statue change to “stop rust-producing oxidation,” is particularly concerning since the flight of the 50 doves was created to honor BU alumnus Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MLK’s inspiring words are carved into the statue’s plaque and ring out truer than ever following the recent events in Charlottesville:

“We must come to see that the end we seek is a society of peace. That will be the day, not of the white man, not of the black man. That will be the day of man as man.”

BU describes Marsh Plaza as being “located in the heart of campus and is the gathering place for our community.” Some of these gatherings have included protests against Neo-Nazi posters around campus, and even protests against Trump and his presidency.

With Fred Trump’s name on the list of people to thank for the plaza’s re-creation, the irony of these protests hangs heavy in the air.

BU has not commented on the issue yet, and their stance on removing Fred Trump’s name from the honor list of donors until his connection with the KKK riot is clarified seems to be a waiting game.

BU