Meet Andrea Rustad: BU student and current Miss Massachusetts Collegiate

She is competing for the national title in Little Rock, AR. on June 30 and July 1

Andrea Rustad, a student in the class of 2019, wants you to know one thing about pageants: it is not always about the glitz and the glamour.

“Pageants are much more than walking in heels and a fancy dress on stage, although that is what most people first think of,” Rustad said. “You have to be articulate, confident, poised, intelligent, and able to speak respectfully and thoughtfully about current issues as well as your own experiences and opinions.”

This passion for pageantry and breaking its stereotypes led Rustad, a Chemistry major in the College of Arts and Sciences, to compete in the Miss Massachusetts Collegiate pageant this past October. After being crowned the winner of the pageant, Rustad fulfilled her title by participating in community service events both in the greater Boston area and in her hometown of Stillwater, Minnesota. Later this month, Rustad will represent Massachusetts and Boston University at the national competition in Little Rock, Arkansas, with hopes of claiming the national title as easy as she did with the state one.

andrea rustad pageant

Andrea Rustad is in the class of 2019, and is a Chemistry major in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“It seemed like a wonderful opportunity and was fun to watch, and after I found out more, she convinced me to compete in a pageant,” she said.

Rustad immediately connected with pageantry at her first pageant, crediting her years as a dancer and a performer for helping her present herself on stage. She also loved talking and sharing her ideas during the interview portion of the pageant.

“I wasn’t quite sure what to expect at first, but I had a great experience and made many friends,” Rustad said. “Although I did not win the first time I competed, I came out with greater confidence and having learned about myself and my capabilities.”

Rustad wanted to continue competing in pageants when moving to Boston for college, and after learning about the Miss Massachusetts Collegiate pageant from a pageant friend, she knew it was perfect for her.

“A friend who I had competed in Miss Massachusetts Teen USA with was Miss Massachusetts Collegiate America 2016, and encouraged me to compete,” she said.

The Miss Collegiate America pageant is a national pageant that provides scholarships and professional and personal opportunities for college-aged women.

“It is very focused on service and community involvement, and titleholders are required to do a minimum of two service or appearance events each month,” Rustad said.

Andrea Rustad with kids at the West End Music Clubhouse in Allston, Massachusetts, one of the many service events she participated in as Miss Massachusetts Collegiate.

Andrea with kids at the West End Music Clubhouse in Allston, Massachusetts, one of the many service events she participated in as Miss Massachusetts Collegiate

The state pageant weekend began with a meet and greet dinner where the competitors from the three different divisions — junior high, high school, and collegiate — meet each other and prepare for the fun weekend ahead.

“The two girls I happened to be sitting with ended up becoming my sister queens, which was super fun,” Rustad said.

The pageant itself consisted of three events: interview, evening gown, and fun fashion, where competitors can wear an outfit that showcases their personalities to the judges.

“My mom and I actually made my fun fashion outfit for the state pageant, and, as the name implies, it was fun to wear,” Rustad said. “I thought it showed off my creative personality well, which was the goal.”

The judges crowned the winner of the pageant after these events, and Rustad could not believe it when they announced her as Miss Massachusetts Collegiate.

“I was so honored and shocked to be crowned, and I started crying tears of joy,” Rustad said. “Brenna, one of my closest friends in pageants, had been the titleholder the previous year, so she crowned me, which was so wonderful. I couldn’t wait for what I knew would be an incredible year with my amazing sister queens.”

After being crowned, Rustad sprang into action as Miss Massachusetts Collegiate, volunteering at numerous service events with her sister queens, Skylar and Emily.

Andrea and her sister queens Skylar (left) and Emily reading to kids in the greater Boston area. Skylar, Miss Massachusetts Junior High, and Emily, Miss Massachusetts High School, will also be competing at the national pageant at the end of June.

Andrea and her sister queens Skylar (left) and Emily reading to kids in the greater Boston area. Skylar, Miss Massachusetts Junior High, and Emily, Miss Massachusetts High School, will also be competing at the national pageant at the end of June

A cause Rustad is passionate about is cancer treatment, after her mother, who she credits as her strongest role model and supporter, was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. Her mother is now cancer-free, but that does not stop Rustad from using her title to fight for an end to cancer.

“A cause especially important to me is fighting against cancer, which I work towards in research, and have helped by volunteering at Relay for Life and Race for the Cure,” Rustad said.

Rustad and her sister queens also made appearances in the Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade, and Rustad was invited to be a spectator at the Patriots’ Super Bowl Victory Parade, the Boston Marathon, and a Red Sox game.

“I was honored to meet Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon, and an inspiration to women around the world,” Rustad said.

Andrea Rustad, Emily, and Skylar in the Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade this past March.

Andrea, Emily, and Skylar in the Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade this past March

With the school year completed, Rustad is now preparing for the national pageant, happening during the final week of June in Little Rock, Arkansas.

“To prepare for the national pageant, I frequently practice interview questions- the most important thing is not to memorize answers, but just to practice many different questions so you are as prepared as possible for any questions,” Rustad said. “I practice walking in my evening gown and fun fashion. There is a specific walking pattern for the national pageant, but walking is a bit different in each gown, and I definitely don’t want to trip, so I need to make sure I am confident and comfortable walking in my competition outfits.”

At the national pageant, Rustad can win scholarships for school and other prizes, as well as explore Little Rock with her fellow competitors.

“I am very excited to meet the other contestants, as we have been getting to know each other through social media, and they all seem so nice,” Rustad said.

Rustad is most excited to wear her evening gown on the national stage.

“It’s a tradition to keep your gown a secret until the competition so I am not sharing pictures of it yet, but it is super sparkly and amazing,” she said.

Andrea Rustad volunteering in the greater Boston area this year.

Andrea volunteering in the greater Boston area this year

Rustad’s reign as Miss Massachusetts Collegiate will end this fall, where she will hand over the crown to a new queen. However, Rustad is grateful for the experience. She says it has taught her how much of a difference one person can make, and she hopes to continue giving back to the community both at home and in Boston.

“Even after my reign is over, I will continue volunteering, and my experiences have reinvigorated my passion for service and reminded me of the impact one can make,” she said.

Andrea will compete for the national title on June 30 and July 1. You can watch her compete here.

BU