Why Valentine’s Day is the most overrated holiday

I promise I’m not writing this just because I’m single and sad. Well, maybe I am

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, it’s impossible to escape the pressure to make February 14 perfect for your significant other or to escape how in love everybody other than you is. Regardless, Valentine’s Day is so overrated and this is why.

Why should February 14th be different than any other day?

Valentine’s Day just creates excuses for people not to treat their significant other like royalty every other day, and instead “save it all up” for February 14.  If George Lopez in the movie “Valentine’s Day” can treat his wife special every single day, then so can you.

Creates so much pressure for couples

There is way too much hype about making Valentine’s Day the best day ever. What do you get your partner? How are you going to spend the day? I don’t know about you, but I can’t even decide what I want to eat for breakfast on any given day, so these are just too many decisions for a person to handle.

Ain’t nobody got the money for this

Even though I just ranted about how all this Valentine’s Day pressure is completely unnecessary, you’re still going to try and make the day perfect. The cost of flowers, chocolate, a giant teddy bear, a nice dinner or whatever else you’re going to buy really adds up. If you can’t even afford to buy your textbooks for the semester, how do you expect to pay for those overpriced roses?

People who propose on Valentine’s Day

Literally, no. First of all, it takes all of the surprise out of the proposal, and second of all, do you really want to get engaged on the same day that thousands of other people are getting engaged?

Cupid

Okay seriously what is the deal with cupid? Are you a grown man inappropriately dressed in a diaper or a small child who isn’t toilet trained yet? And why are you trying to shoot me with an arrow? Get yourself a new mascot, Valentine’s Day.

Single girl/guy sorrow

Many single people feel like they need to be sad that they’re not in a relationship, and sit home alone while all their coupled friends are out with their significant others. You secretly resent your friend for getting a diamond necklace, while all you get is a hangover from drinking an entire bottle of wine alone. I promise, it’s ok to be single!

February is simply the worst month

It’s literally rainy or snowy and cold every single day, especially here in Boston. Who else forgets that it even exists because it’s so freaking short? Sometimes it even has an extra day that throws everybody off. Make up your mind, February.

Let’s blame Hallmark

Rumor has it that Valentine’s Day actually began after two Roman men, both named Valentine, were executed, and so their lives were honored by the Catholic Church with a celebration on February 14. Someone please explain to me how we came from that to the Valentine’s Day we know today? Let’s be honest, Hallmark is behind it all.

Ok, ok, I’ve done my rant about how much Valentine’s Day sucks. Even though I think we should just cancel February 14, I hope your day kicks ass and you’re surrounded by the people you love most, whether that be a significant other or your best friends.

BU boston boston students boston university BU Valentine's Day women