Hundreds march for trans, queer and immigrant liberation

‘No pride for some without liberation for all!’

Hundreds gathered in front of Boston City Hall Sunday afternoon in solidarity for the trans, queer and immigrant communities.

Feb. 5, 2017- People protest in the “Trans and Queer Liberation” rally on Sunday on Newbury street. (The Tab BU photo/ Shijie Ye)

The crowd marched for about an hour and a half  from City Hall to Boston Common and Copley Square. About 15 Boston Police Department officers were present and followed the crowd. The cold made protesters a bit tense.

According to a Facebook page, the event was held by more than 30 organizations and foundations. About 5,500 people said they were interested in going.

“Muslins lives are at stake. Immigrants lives are at stake. Women’s lives are at stake. LGBTQ lives are at stake. The time to resist is now! The time to fight back is now!” said Angelo Christopher Lima, one of the speakers and the leader of Student Immigrant Movement (SIM). He continued to urge that people should hold on to each other and keep fighting.

Feb. 5, 2017- Amelia Spinney, one of the organizers of the “Trans and Queer Liberation” rally, wears a flag and leads the crowd near Copley Square. (The Tab BU photo/ Shijie Ye)

“I am a queer and trans Latino person, and so I care deeply about issues of human rights and civil rights, especially issues of immigration, refugee rights and rights for undocumented people,” said Amelia Spinney, one of the organizers of the rally.

There were also many protestors who were not from LGBTQ community.

Feb. 5, 2017- Alex Aguilar, at left, and Graven Lehmen, at right, hold their signs in front of the city hall in the “Trans and Queer Liberation” rally on Sunday. (The Tab BU photo/ Shijie Ye)

“I am here today because, as an immigrant myself, I feel that it’s important to show your support for everyone across the boarder,” said Alex Aguilar, 24, who moved to Boston three years ago.

“I am here to create awareness for human rights,” said Graven Lehmen, 29, who is also a Boston resident.

“I am a teacher and I believe that all of my students that their concerns are my concerns. Until all of my students feel safe, I will continue to protest, stand up and resist,” said Trina Baker, who is from the western Boston area. “All human rights matter.”

Feb. 5, 2017- Children offer free cookies in the “Trans and Queer Liberation” rally on Sunday on Newbury street. (The Tab BU photo/ Shijie Ye)

BU boston boston students boston university BU Copley Square donald trump immigrants