This BU senior started a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for Planned Parenthood

Backers will get a Pussy Grabs Back patch

The Patch Project is a Kickstarter started by Erin McCarthy, a senior graphic design major at Boston University, to raise money for Planned Parenthood. The $250 goal is for the production costs of the patches. When the patches are made, they will be sold with all profits going to Planned Parenthood. Backers receive a patch and any extra money that is not used in production costs will also be donated to Planned Parenthood.

“Because of the GOP and Paul Ryan’s announcement, which if passed could cause Planned Parenthood to lose its funding by next month at the earliest, I figured now was a better time than ever to launch a tiny segment of it early as a test,” said McCarthy. “The goal is to raise awareness and funds for women’s rights, women’s health, and women’s body autonomy in the name of a great organization that helps both men and women attain the basic healthcare they need.”

Mockup of the patches

In order to produce the patches, the Kickstarter needed to reach its goal by February 5. The goal has already been met, thanks to 25 backers. An official website where the patches will be sold is currently in the works.

On her Kickstarter, McCarthy said “You face a lot of backlash, especially on an issue that is so fiercely divided in this country such as the pro-life/pro-choice argument, women’s reproductive rights, body autonomy.” Although no one so far has verbally made any comments against the project, some people have reacted negatively on Facebook.

Many students, professors and Kickstarter users have reached out to McCarthy, saying that they are happy with this project and the good it can do.

This is just one of the causes McCarthy is hoping to help. Based on how this does, McCarthy is hoping to expand The Patch Project and design patches to raise money for causes such as Syrian Refugees, Standing Rock, Black Lives Matter, and Anti-Trump, to name a few.

The Patch Project might not be able “to save the world, but it may make it a little better.”

BU