A New Englander’s guide to surviving a Boston winter

Canada Goose is NOT required

I grew up outside of Boston, so winter has always been non-eventful for me. Five feet of snow? Wear a scarf. Wind chill below zero? Just don’t forget your gloves and you’re fine.

When I decided I wanted to go to BU, the whole “Boston winter” thing didn’t scare me at all, so I figured no one else was scared either.

I was wrong.

Every first snowfall, campus turns into a complete shit show that no one knows how to handle. Tweets and Facebook statuses call for snow days over two inches of snow. At first I was shocked, but now it just makes me laugh. It’s not the end of the world, it’s just a little polar vortex, guys.

So for all you warm weather lovers who just had to go to school in Boston, here’s how to prepare for and survive a Boston winter.

Order your gear during the off-season

If you wait until November to order your cold weather gear, chances are  every good item will already be sold out. Try shopping for your coat and boots in the summer. The selection will almost definitely be larger. Also, sometimes companies have sales during the off season, so you could even save yourself some money.

Buy insulated Bean Boots

Yes, they’re ugly, but Bean Boots are the way to go for a Boston winter. They are waterproof, warm and will last you forever. The non-insulated ones are great for fall, but your feet will be icicles if you wear them in the snow. The insulated Bean Boots sell out quickly and are more expensive, but are definitely worth the money. And just a pro tip, they seem to run about a half size big.

not pictured but totally on my feet: bean boots

Get a long coat with a hood

Having a hood on your jacket is  essential with the mess of weather conditions Boston can experience at any given moment. Sometimes it rains, snows and sleets all in the same day, and you’re going to want a hood on those days. It will keep you significantly warmer than a coat without a hood, too.

Additionally, when choosing a jacket, pick one that goes below your waist. That alone can make a world of a difference. Make sure to look for a jacket that is water resistant because believe it or not, snow melts into water and you don’t want that to soak through your coat.

Don’t worry, Canada Goose isn’t the only company that sells warm coats. Check L.L. Bean, Patagonia, or North Face for more affordable options.

Buy a warm scarf

Scarves are extremely underrated, in my opinion. The right scarf can save you on a cold day. Urban Outfitters sells huge blanket scarves that are true blessings in the winter. They look a little silly at times, but  really get the job done. A good scarf will keep heat inside your coat and can even shield your face from brutal winds.

Get yourself a “fracket”

I’m telling you right now- there’s no way you can survive a winter Allston crawl without a “fracket,” otherwise known as a jacket for frats. Make sure it’s not too expensive, in case you lose it, but make sure it is also warm enough to keep you alive on your weekend adventures. Forever 21, Tobi and Amazon have great, inexpensive “fracket” options that are cute enough to wear out, but not so cute that you’ll be heart broken when you lose it.

Invest in some texting gloves

The number one rookie mistake made is not having texting gloves during the winter. Lululemon has some good options, but they are also sold at most places and are even on Amazon for 12 dollars. It is a simple addition to your winter wardrobe that can save your hands from being exposed to terrible temperatures. At the very least, you’re saving yourself from having to take off your gloves every time you need to text someone or change a song.

I could’ve used some gloves here.

Use your phone’s weather app

New England weather is unpredictable, and weather apps can help you stay a step ahead. Make sure you check the temperature before leaving your room for the day, since some days start out cold and end up sunny, or just get colder and colder. Checking the temperature makes it easier to figure out how to dress. With that said, when in doubt, just wear layers. You can always take off layers, but if you under-dress, you’re screwed.

Above all, my greatest advice for winter newbies is to pick practicality over fashion. Not dressing appropriately can be pretty dangerous to your health, and literally no one actually cares what you look like on any given day.

So bundle up and stay warm, Terriers!

BU