Why going home for the first time is the best

Mom, I promise I miss you, but I think I miss my bed more

With Thanksgiving break coming up, this might be your first time going back home, or even seeing your family. There are so many glorious things that come with going home for the first time, like getting to breathe a bit before returning to the hell that are finals.

Families unite

Thanksgiving is the one time a year most people can guarantee their entire family will be together. You don’t have to force yourself to be nice to them or look presentable all the time, which is great. Thanksgiving break is also short enough that you don’t have the chance to get sick of them- that’s what winter break is for.

Eating real food

I do love the GSU and Marciano Commons, but even I get tired of eating grilled cheese every day. Thanksgiving is only a few days away, and I think it’s safe to say that everyone is beyond excited to eat platefuls of glorious foods that our families make only once a year. Keep the mashed potatoes coming.

Friends

Most of us haven’t seen our friends from home face-to-face in three months. Sorry, but FaceTime and Google Hangouts just don’t suffice. You actually want to make friends when you’re coming to college, so you probably won’t use the inside jokes or weird humor that you grew up with. As soon as you get home, though, those jokes will probably be the only things you say for the first couple of days.

Going to your favorite restaurants

Why is there no Chick-Fil-A in Boston? Some of us have been tortured the past three months by not being able to eat our beloved waffle fries. As soon as any of us get off our flight, train, or out of the car, our favorite restaurants might be the first place we go to. Whether it be a mass food chain, a small independent restaurant, or an ice cream shop, you know where to find us.

Hello old friend (your own room)

If you’re a freshman, this semester might have been the first time you’ve ever had to share a room or a bathroom. As much as I love my roommate, it will be nice not share a cubicle with another person for a few days, and I’m sure she feels the same way. You and your old bed also get to reunite, so covet these moments. And, of course, it will be nice not to see five other girls first thing in the morning while I’m brushing my teeth.

Remember high school?

You can tell all your younger friends about how great college is and can make fun of them for still having to endure more time in high school. It’s not like that was you just a few months ago or anything. Maybe you’ll visit old teachers and feel superior when walking the halls of your old high school.

Help me, I’m poor

We’ve all been paying for everything since we’ve got to college and breaking the bank in doing so. Because our families have missed us so much, they might be kind enough to pay for some things while we’re home, and what better time to do so than during Black Friday. You won’t feel as bad spending your parent’s money because everything is discounted. And three days later, it’s Cyber Monday. What a great time of year.

Less than a week at home just doesn’t seem fair, but don’t fret. You’ll be back with your old pals and your own bed in less than month.

BU