Meet Paul Luevano, the cross country freshman with wings on his feet

He won two of the three cross country meets so far

As a freshman on the Boston University’s Men’s Cross Country team, Paul Luevano has achieved incredible feats. He was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week on October 18th, which is the second time Luevano was awarded this.

The first being on September 13th after he won the first meet of the season, which launched his college cross country career. He won both the first and third meets, and placed third in the second. The Tab sat down with Luevano to learn more about this up and coming athletics star.

How has your cross country season progressed so far?
We’ve only had two meets so far, both eight kilometer distances. I won the first, which was the Nasseney Invitational, and got third in the second, which was the New England Championships. My next meet is the CCSU Mini Meet on Friday October 21st at Central Connecticut State University, and it’s going to be a 5k distance. Cross country is mainly 8k and 10k distances, but there are some 5k’s. A 5k is about three miles, so since that’s what most races are in high school, I feel prepared for my next race. [UPDATE: Luevano goes on to win the CCSU meet]

How do you feel going into races?
I feel calm and confident in my fitness.

How do you like this team compared to your high school team?
I like this team much better. It’s more dedicated to being successful. The upperclassmen have done very well integrating the new people into the team.

How did you get into cross country?
My brother, who is four years older than me, ran on the high school team, so I joined freshman year. I wanted to have a place to hang out, and I really wasn’t that serious until probably my sophomore year. When I won my sectional finals in the state that’s when I really got serious. I dedicated myself to getting faster. I did more intense training during practice. I would run faster than I was used to, and did more mileage. Having a strong mentality really helped me. I just told myself that I could always do it, that I could be the best. And even when things got rough in the season I still picked myself up.

Why did you choose  BU?
I looked at San Diego and Humboldt, which is in northern California, but I decided to come over here. BU has a better team than those two schools and I got an athletics scholarship.

How has the transition been from home to here?
I’m from Los Angeles, CA, but I don’t really miss home that much. I like it here. The transition’s been easy. I don’t mind being far away from home.

How is the East coast is different from the West?
It’s colder way earlier in the year, but I’ll just adapt. I don’t buy into the whole “the cold’s going to get me” idea. 

What are you interested in doing in the future?
I’ve been thinking about marine biology since freshman year of high school since I love the ocean life. I think it’s interesting when we go into the ocean and find new species.

Why did you decide to apply to CGS instead of CAS as a freshman?
I decided to go into CGS instead of CAS because my coach here said CGS would help with my transition from high school. The transition’s been nice and it’s definitely helped me a lot.

Luevano is the runner to watch for the 2016 season. The team has three more meets left this season. Let’s see how many more Luevano will win.

BU