Fire alarms and power outages hit West Campus dorms

Some students are now stuck outside, still wearing their pajamas

Students in Clafin and Sleeper Halls woke up to fire alarms going off this morning. Many floors in all three dorms are currently without power. 

The fire alarms and power outage started around 10:15 this morning. West Dining Hall is closed for now, and students already in the dining hall were evacuated.

RAs stationed near the security desks in the dorms are telling students, “If you leave, you can’t come back in until this is all figured out.” But many students – some still in their pajamas – are now stuck outside their building because they can’t reenter.

On Rich 7, for instance, students have no power in their rooms, no lights in the bathroom and no wifi. Only the emergency light in each hallway is working. 

One student called BU’s Facilities Management emergency number to report the outage. They said they were aware of the problem and are working toward a solution. 

Many students are waiting outside the buildings, and it looks as though some even decided to sit in the bleachers in Nickerson Field. Others are moving to nearby coffee shops or restaurants until they can reenter.

BU