BU fashion is making a change for the better

Fetch is going to happen

Boston is definitely not known as a “trendy” city, so it was a nice surprise that upon return, it seemed the students of Boston University have taken notes from the pages of Vogue and the runways of fashion month.

Trends change from season to season but even more so from year to year. The staples of last year have been laid to rest– some for the better. Take a look at the changes from last year to this year.

Guys

Joggers to trousers

If you’re trying to be fitted, ditch the joggers. Sure, athleisure is still trending, but boys, you can do better. Trends are in favor of more put together pieces this fall. Though joggers might be the easiest, most comfortable option, trousers– both solid or patterned– can take anything from a vintage t-shirt to a crewneck to the next level.

“I appreciate the nicer pants honestly,” Lizzy Herzog (COM ’19) said. “I like a guy with good taste.”

Calf socks to no socks

Calf socks: can you think of a more classic “I really don’t care about how I look” staple for guys? The chic factor of Nike or Adidas calf socks with a non-athletic wear outfit hovers around a negative seven. But fear not! Moves are being made. Guys seem to be ditching the socks all together to show off those ankles (how scandalous!)

Denim shirts to overalls

Farmer chic lives on. Light washed denim button down shirts will always be in our hearts, but as denim continues to takeover the fashion world, we are seeing more and more iterations of the textile from shorts to hats, but most notably to overalls. Pro tip: Think Chance the Rapper at the VMAs more so than farmer at the ranch. 

Two words: front pocket,” Wyatt Ward (COM ’18) said. “Plus I feel like I’m just in music festival mode 24/7.”

Unisex

Army jackets to bombers

Outerwear continues to prove itself as the king of all necessities. As the seasons transition, it’s crucial to have pieces that can make the changes with the leaves. I’m not saying go ahead and ditch your green army jackets and camo for good, but consider the modern minimalism that a nice satin bomber can bring. Simple solids or vintage varsity– there’s no going wrong for men or women. 

Embellishments to embroidery

Honestly, studs and spikes are just injuries waiting to happen. Last year on campus, everything was studded from backpacks to boots, jackets to jeans. This year, the punk takes a turn for more crafty design that provides an edge all its own. Gucci has taken this trend to new levels in multiple of their latest collections, but that doesn’t mean custom embroidered designs are out of reach.

“Embroidery is subtle. Fashion is all about what is new and embroidery is the next thing. It’s also super original and personal.” Sophie Levy (COM ’18) said.

Girls

Boyfriend jeans to mom jeans

The 90s are back in a big way. Kelly Kapowski, DJ Tanner, the girls from Friends, what’s better than a good pair of high-rise, straight-leg Levi jeans. Boyfriend jeans do little to accentuate figure, whereas a nice pair of 501s can lengthen the leg and define the waist. Don’t give up if your search takes time, the right pair is worth the wait.

T-shirt dress to slip dresses

A t-shirt dress is easy, but let’s not take the easy way out this fall. Slip dresses, a favorite of Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid, have been dotting Comm. Ave since day one of the semester. With a simple white tee to class or a jacket and boots to dinner, the slip is the most versatile piece of the fall.

Gladiator sandals to platform sandals

So long Ancient Greece. Platforms are stomping out the sandals of yesteryear. Gladiator sandals have been popular for ages (literally). Add some modernity and length to an outfit with extra inches and a simple strap. Take your kicks to new heights this semester instead of treading the same old, flat ground.   

Black chokers to metal chokers

It’s no secret that chokers have been the accessory sonic boom of the past year. Most girls use a choker to add some spunk to any outfit. As the trend continues its takeover, more and more styles are popping up on the streets and in the stores. Whether it is large cuffs or gem strands, you can guarantee metal mania is here to stay.   

Now, we have reached the point in the article during which I was going to quote a male at BU on their feelings about chokers. I asked a handful of nice, young men their thoughts and unfortunately, the comments received were not fit to print. So ladies, please wear your chokers with caution. Or pride. Probably pride. 

BU