Everything you need to know about 1047

You may even see the Planned Parenthood protesters from your window

If you’ve walked down Commonwealth Avenue then you’ve probably seen 1047, the new dormitory BU is leasing for the next two years while Myles Standish is under construction.

Here’s everything you need to know about BU’s new dorm.

What happened to Myles?

Myles Standish is BU’s oldest dorm in dire need of renovations. In addition to the structural damage that has occurred over the years, the current layout of Myles is just plain weird. Students must cross into other’s rooms just to access a bathroom. Imagine having to walk through someone else’s room and accidentally waking them up when you go to pee at two in the morning. Fortunately, BU is putting $130 million into their renovation to fix this awkwardness.

Some students are living in Myles throughout the construction (at a discounted rate), while others are taking advantage of 1047 while we have it.

The rooms are amazing

All of the rooms in this brand new residence are studio apartments, most of which are doubles. Is that not the residential dream? Rooms are all different shapes and sizes, too, which just adds to the dorm’s individuality.

“It looks like it was put together in a hurry, but it’s really beautiful and the amenities almost make up for the walk,” said sophomore Kelly Markus.”The floor to ceiling shower tile is also pretty classy.”

Markus got housing in 1047 through summer swap, a resource she feels people don’t take advantage of enough. As a COM student, Markus makes the trek to east campus everyday, making 1047 not the most ideal location for her. At the very least, buying groceries is easy with Star Market so close by, and her view of New Balance Field is easy on the eyes.

Residents love the washing machine and dryer

1047 has some special  features that are not common in BU dorms. Each apartment includes its own washer and dryer, which are free to use. And don’t bother looking for the trash room (there isn’t one); instead, there is a nice trash chute on each floor.

But the building has some kinks 

While there are some awesome perks to living in a brand new dorm, there are also some downsides. For the first couple of days the wifi did not work in some rooms, particularly the corner ones. Luckily, BU Information Services and Technology installed a wifi unit to correct the problem, so now I can finally go on Netflix.

Some other problems include issues with the breaker switches, outlets not working, and, sadly, even the toilets. They have a weak flush, meaning several flushes are needed, and water is wasted.

Monique Peyreau, a junior in CAS loves her room, particularly the free washer and drier, but has one complaint. “I just want to be able to loft my bed. I called housing and they said it’s against BU policy to loft beds.” Peyreau hoped to loft her bed above both her desk and dresser so she could better utilize the space in her room. Peyreau got into 1047 through direct swap while her roommate snagged the room with her lottery number.

What’s going on with the front of 1047?

As many have noticed, the student entrance to this dorm is around the side. The front of building, though, is just a dull room with concrete floors.

The front room remains unused because it is not included with BU’s lease. This part of the building belongs to another, unknown company.

There have been rumors as to what will happen to the space, although nothing has been confirmed yet. Some students say a restaurant is coming, and others believe it will be a retail shop.

The bottom line is that this new dorm is beautiful and we’re lucky to have it for the next two years. For those who hope to live in it next year, the kinks should be fixed, making 1047 a great (and cheaper) alternative to StuVi.

BU