BU just got hotter

Behind the BUchelorette, BU’s hottest new radio show

Some radio shows play oldies music or share the news, but others go completely outside of the box. This fall, The BUchelorette radio show will be your Monday late-night entertainment.

Monday nights at midnight, the hosts of the WTBU show will discuss all of your love, sex, and relationship questions. Not to mention their match making game once a month. The Tab talked to Sarah Sosland, co-host and creator of the show, about what will easily become one of BU’s most popular shows.

How did this idea come to you?

I come from a family of Bachelor and Bachelorette super-fans, even my dad watches. We know the show is silly and the drama is excessive, but at the end of it, some people actually find love. We lap that up.

I knew having a dating competition every week would be a little tricky to sustain, so the idea to also have a sex, dating, and relationship talk show came from a few experiences I’ve had on BU’s campus.

Last semester, I was in BU’s production of “The Vagina Monologues.” It was the first time I had been so open with a group of women about love and sexuality. All of our discussions were so honest and important that I knew I wanted to broaden the conversation even further and get more women – and men – talking.

I also was inspired by BU’s own organizations and programming. Wellness and Prevention Services hosts some awesome sex-positive events throughout the year, Frisky February being my favorite, so I would love to get them involved. I think the Condom Fairy would be a great official sponsor.

Why did you decide on this show? 

I love talking about sex and love and relationships. People get so honest when talking about this stuff- it’s unbelievable. Especially when we are all at the beginning of our romantic lives. It’s so messy and confusing, and no one seems to know what they are talking about. That’s why being open about relationships and being sex-positive is so important, especially for young women.

We are all at a stage when we have to accept our emotions and our bodies for what they are. Talking about it is the first step.

When you host the match making game, where will it be held?

The match making game will be held in the new WTBU recording studio.

What are you looking for in contestants?

We are looking for girls and guys across BU’s campus who are, first and foremost, single!

Students who would like to be part of the match game must provide their name, year and school, and why they want to be the next BUchelor or BUchelorette. Students can nominate their friends who they think would be a good fit for the game.

We want contestants who really are interested in finding someone. Whether that someone ends up being a good friend, a casual date, or the love of their life, that’s up to them. We also are looking for contestants who know how to have a good time. This is a radio show, after all, so we need students who are outgoing, excited, and willing to laugh at themselves.

First dates can be silly and embarrassing. We want to put that on air.

For the contestants who are nominated by friends, will you surprise them or let them know ahead of time?

We’ll let them know ahead of time and make sure they seem like a good fit. The last thing we want is a BUchelor/ette who does not want to be there. It’s hard enough finding love when you do want it.

How do you plan on matching students with a potential partners?

After we choose our BUchelor/ette for that month, we will advertise them on our page with a picture and a few facts about them, similar to a dating website profile (but a little more BU oriented). People will then be able to message us saying why they think they would be a good fit and why they want to date our BUchelor/ette. We will choose the top three suitors based on the dating preferences of our BUchelor/ette and get them on the air.

If you successfully match people, will you have them back on the show?

If we end up with some successful BUchelorette couples we are absolutely going to do some follow up segments.

If this becomes popular, will you do the matching game more than once a month?

So far, we’ve received a crazy amount of interest in the dating game. If all goes well, we may expand the dating game to every other week.

Lastly, do you think BU is a good place for love?

There are 18,000 undergraduates at BU. If you can’t find love, you just haven’t looked hard enough yet.

The show’s first episode is Monday, September 19th at midnight. They will be discussing the worst firsts in a relationship and will announce their first BUchelor/ette.

Let’s find some love.

BU