BU student fatally struck by commuter rail

The 17-year-old male student was killed late Tuesday west of the Yawkey Way stop

The freshman student from China was struck and killed by an MBTA commuter rail train as he walked on the tracks near 25 Buick Street, said Transit Police and the university. The student’s name is being withheld until his family has been notified, according to BU Today.

“Preliminary investigation shows that the person was trespassing along the right of way,’’ said Police Superintendent Richard Sullivan. “We believe he was struck by an MBTA commuter rail train.’’

MBTA Transit Police report that officers responding to a call at 12:15 a.m. found the body of the 17-year-old on the tracks of the Worcester line, under the Massachusetts Turnpike. Police say the student seemed to have been crossing the tracks when he was struck by the train. No foul play is suspected and there is no ongoing danger.

“The University’s thoughts and prayers are with the student’s family,” says Kenneth Elmore, associate provost and dean of students. Elmore says that counseling support is available for all students, faculty, and staff, and encourages anyone seeking help to contact one of the following resources:

• Marsh Chapel chaplains can be reached at 617-353-3560.
  • Behavioral Medicine providers at Student Health Services can be reached at 617-353-3569.
  • Counseling is also available for faculty and staff through the Faculty & Staff Assistance Office, 617-353-5381.
  • Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders is at 617-353-9610.
BU