Our beloved Citgo Sign is being considered for landmark status

Boston – and BU freshmen – would be lost without it

Thanks to over five thousand signers, Boston’s famous Citgo Sign is being considered for landmark status.

Many months ago Boston University announced it would be selling some of its buildings in Kenmore Square, including the one with the Citgo Sign. While owned by BU, the sign had protection of sorts and was not at risk of being taken down. Now that the building has potential buyers, the risk of losing the beloved sign is very real.

The sign itself is not part of what is being sold, but the lease agreement to have it there depends on the owners of the building. If the new developers do not want it there, it has to be removed.

An online petition started by the Boston Preservation Alliance has received over five thousand signatures. Four days ago it was announced that it would be under consideration as an official landmark in the state.

The Citgo Sign as it is seen today has been a part of Boston since 1965. Once in the 1980s, there was a potential for the sign to be dismantle, but just like now, that possibility was faced with great opposition. During that time, the sign had also been considered for landmark status.

Now, the sign marks the 23rd mile of the Boston Marathon and can help any lost students find their way across campus.

BU