Two hit after car swerves onto the COM lawn

An accident due to texting caused havoc in front of BU’s Communications building

On Tuesday night around 9:30 an accident occurred on Commonwealth Ave on the COM building lawn.

The scene from across the street, moments after the police arrived.

According to eyewitnesses and others at the scene of the accident, a young woman was texting while driving when she swerved her SUV into another car and then onto the sidewalk.

There is a yellow fence blocking the side walk in front of a building under current construction to the side of the Communications building. This fence was meant to prevent cars from cars from hitting pedestrians coming out of the walkway.

The entire fence on the perimeter of the lawn was torn down.

As the SUV swerved it hit two pedestrians, a grandfather and grandson. The two were sent to the hospital immediately but haven’t suffered serious injuries.

The remnants of the scene after most everything was cleared by first responders. On the lawn you can see two white objects, both supplies used by the paramedics.

The scene was mostly calm except for the mother of the child hit, who could not stop crying and screaming. Her family, police officers and paramedics did their best to comfort her.

There were at least three firetrucks which showed up on the scene, as well as numerous police and paramedics.

Over half a dozen news crews arrived shortly after the grandfather and grandson were taken to the hospital.

Due to the Red Sox game coming to its conclusion, the accident had to quickly be cleaned up before too many people came through the area.

Numerous people and news crews came to the area to find out what happened.

The woman’s SUV as it was towed off the lawn and away from the scene.

The accident was mostly cleared by 10:10pm.

BU