BU’s BosTones a cappella group is heading to NYC

One a cappella group gets their very own Pitch Perfect experience

The BosTones, one of Boston University’s a cappella groups, is getting to live out a Pitch Perfect-style dream.

The group recently placed first at the International Collegiate Competition of A Cappella Northeast Semi-final.

The group’s win at the semifinals competition is not just extraordinary for a cappella groups here at Boston U., but it also means that the BosTones are ranked in the top nine college a cappella groups in the world.

The next step in the group’s journey is the finals competition in New York City. The group will be performing at the Beacon Theatre this Saturday, April 30th.

Melissa, a Senior and President of the BosTones, said “We are ecstatic to be advancing to the International Finals in New York City! Over 350 extremely talented groups have competed for a chance to be in our shoes, and we are so honored to be representing the Northeast Region, as well as BU’s A Capella community. We have been working incredibly hard to get to this point, and I’m so proud of everyone’s hard work and dedication. We can’t wait to leave it all on the stage at Beacon Theater!”

PHOTO COURTESY NICOLAS TEPPER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Sharmetha, a Freshman and member of the choreography team, told us that “This has been the peak of my college career. When they announced that we had won first place at our semi-finals, I was in complete shock. It was such a surreal moment and I will never forget that emotional feeling of achievement and pride. The most rewarding part of it all is getting to put our passion and love of music into creating something truly beautiful on stage.”

Amalia, a Junior, said she was really excited to live out this dream.

“I keep telling my friends to pinch me, because I can’t believe my reality. Getting to share some of the best stages in the world with some of my favorite people will forever be the highlight of my time at BU!”

At the Semi-Finals competition, Amalia was Awarded Best Soloist of the Northeast Region.

Jeff, a Freshman and the BosTones’ Beatboxer said his favorite song to perform so far is ‘If I Go.’ He said “It’s the fastest and highest in energy and I have the most freedom in doing fun sounds with it. Being vocal percussion is very versatile as in there are lots of sounds that are so different that you normally wouldn’t think a human could even produce. It’s nice to be able to hear how sounds translate across stage and are amplified in coordination with my beats”

Additionally, Jeff won the Outstanding Vocal Percussion award at the quarterfinals competition in February.

At the finals competition, each group prepares a 12 minute performance, which usually includes three songs. Groups win points based on their vocal and visual performances, along with a subjective ranking. For the subjective ranking, points are awarded if one or more of the judges believe the group should be placed in first, second, or third place.

The last and only time a BU group won first place at the finals was the Dear Abbeys group in 2005.

BU