Stop judging me because I’m a COM major

No, we weren’t ‘too lazy for Questrom’

When I first applied to BU, I knew I wanted to be in COM.

Our alumni network is incredible, our professors really know what they’re taking about, and the field of communication itself is steadily taking over the world.

My home!!!

Look around you. What isn’t an advertisement or a PR stunt? How bored would you be without your favorite Netflix shows? Our lives revolve around the work of Communication professionals. So why is my major seen as a cop-out?

Our Journalism program was ranked 11th in the country. Is that a cop-out? And even though we don’t necessarily spend all day in Bio or Chem lab, we do put in some serious work.

Look at this COM cutie

Ask anyone who took COM101. Unless your TA was a gift from God, you probably struggled to land yourself a B. And 201 isn’t much better. I slave away at my grammar book daily, questioning whether or not I actually know the English language.

COM kids are innovative, witty and so intelligent. We have such a diverse range of people who call 640 Commonwealth Ave home base, and there really is something for everyone in our programs.

But why are we “not as smart” as everyone else, just because our requirements are different? Last time I checked, we all got into the same university.

College is about studying what you are passionate about, so whose place is it to tell anyone else their major is less acceptable?

No, we weren’t “too lazy for Questrom.”

Yes, I’ll have a job when I graduate. I promise.

However, the lack of recognition doesn’t just come from students. Our university turned down millions of dollars in donations from notable alumni that could have been used to upgrade the outdated classrooms and provide students with necessary resources.

The paint on the walls is chipping off, the bathrooms barely accommodate the number of student who frequent them, and the COM lounge always smells like wet dog for no apparent reason.

everything looks so nice from the outside…

Of course, those are all cosmetic fixes, but they’re hard to not notice when you look outside your classroom window and see the multi-million dollar structure they’re building right next door.

These issues may be simply superficial, but they do reflect how little COM is prioritized within our university.

I’m not asking for a lot. I don’t want an apology, a donation, or a shoulder to cry on.

What I do want is genuine respect for everyone who works his or her butt off just to be the punch line of an engineer’s joke.

BU