BU’s own Julia Sokolowski tells us what it was like being on Survivor

There’s no sipping from coconuts with tiny umbrellas on this island

In honor of the first episode of Survivor’s 32nd season, we’re giving you the inside scoop about the show from our very own, Julia Sokolowski. Through my interview with Julia, I got an exclusive look into the challenges the players faced during their time on the Cambodian island, Kaoh Rong.

One of the hardest things Julia dealt with on a daily basis was not being able to shower. “I’m fine with the starving and the sleeping on the ground in the jungle, but I like to be clean”, explained the COM major.

When she wasn’t planning or completing challenges, Julia said she spent her time taking a break and not really doing anything.

With so much time between challenges, the paranoia set in. “I did a lot of self reflection, as cheesy as it sounds”, Julia told me with a laugh, “at home, downtime is filled with your phone, the internet or social media, but on Survivor, to have that downtime and be so disconnected from everything was surreal”.

Everyone on the show goes through these struggles together. Julia described how the cast “becomes a family” regardless of what happens, because of the amazing experience they went through together. It forever bonds them.

Julia had a very strong initial reaction to her clan, that really motivated her throughout the show. Everyone was told the show’s theme and their clans right before they started shooting.

“At first I was, of course, flattered by the compliment, but I was also nervous and intimated”, Julia admitted. She felt that since she was going out there as a blonde sorority girl, “the title of beauty was fueling [her] stereotype”. But she used that as her incentive to prove to everyone that there is more than one definition of beauty: “The meaning of beauty to me became, ‘hey, I’m out here, I’m 18 years old, on national TV, without make-up, in a bathing suit and I’m still called beautiful…that’s empowerment”.

Julia went on to describe how beauty on the show wasn’t about your physical appearance, but it turned into “[being] charming, having social skills and kind souls”.

When asked about missing home, the sophomore admitted that leaving her friends was hard, especially having left right after being initiated into her sorority halfway through her second semester at BU. “I couldn’t tell anyone where I was going”, she explained.

Coming home took a whole new adjustment period. It took time for the “survivor” mentality and sense of paranoia to fade.

“The hardest thing once I came back was keeping everything a secret, not telling people about the show or what happened. Coming back and having to pretend this crazy journey never happened was difficult for me”, Julia said.

Some of that weight has been lifted, however, since the news about the show came out: “since the cast list was released…I’ve gotten a ton of support”.

Well Julia, we’ll be watching the season premiere tonight at 8pm. We’re here cheering for you!

Photos : Monty Brinton/CBS Entertainment CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

BU national-us