Being in a long distance relationship in college sucks

This is how I’ve learned to make it work

Some people are automatically turned off by the idea of being in a long distance relationship.

But according to the Statistic Brain Research Institute, about 32.5 percent of college relationships are long distance.

This is a pretty significant amount of students and I just so happen to be one of them.

I left my boyfriend of six months back in California at the end of August, but we’re still going strong. We’ve had our ups and downs, but that goes with every relationship. It’s just a lot harder when it’s long distance.

Over time, we learned to manage.

Before going into a long distance relationship, make sure you and your partner know what you’re getting yourselves into. Distance is going to put a strain on your relationship. Both parties must be 100 percent willing to give it all they got.

If you’re ever feeling the strain, talk about it with your partner.

That’s what they’re there for.

Another thing to remember is that it’s not permanent. You are going to have the chance to see him or her again. It makes the trips home even more special.

Communication is the most important thing in a long distance relationship.

You can’t touch your partner. You can’t feel your partner. You can’t fulfill each other’s sexual desires. Talking is the best you can do and make sure you do it everyday.

My boyfriend and I made a rule: we have to talk for at least one hour each day.

I can’t stress enough how important this rule has been for us. Whether it’s through text, calling, Skyping, or Snapchatting, we talk for one hour each day.

Not only does it ensure that we maintain a connection, it also gives us something to look forward to. It provides a sense of comfort and consistency.

This is actual conversation between my boyfriend and I. Don’t afraid of really saying what you feel

Trust is also an essential component.

You both need to be in a place where you’re comfortable enough with the other person to know he or she won’t cheat on you.

Of course, this thought is always going to stay in the back of your mind. It’s natural to worry. You can’t know the exact location of your partner at every moment of the day.

First of all, that’s creepy. Second of all, it’s unnecessary.

Let your partner live their life and be considerate of each other.

It’s gonna be hard to figure out a schedule that works for both of you. This understanding is especially important for me and my boyfriend because of the three hour time zone difference between the Bay Area and Boston.

Both of you are in school, have work, and/or are apart of clubs and extracurriculars.

Plus you can’t forget to have actual social lives.

Finding a way to balance your lives is going to be difficult, but if you find a way to make it work, it’ll be well worth it.

Long distance relationships are hard. They’re a constant struggle, but we do what we have to for the ones we love. Don’t worry too much though.

If it’s meant to be, things will work out.

BU