How much skipping your 9am is really costing you

36 Blue Room muffins

We all know how outrageously expensive an American college education is. As a private school with a measly endowment (compared to its elite counterparts), Brown is no exception.

Despite this reality, it can be hard to get up in the morning. Maybe you had a late night at the Rock, at Jo’s, at Whiskey Republic, at the Nelson or just watching South Park in your room. Maybe you slept through your alarm. Sometimes you need a nap to get through the day, even though your schedule barely lets you breathe.

For these reasons and many more, we’ve all skipped a couple of classes throughout the years. That’s fine, we all need to take a breather sometimes. But be warned, it comes at quite the cost.

For the 2016-2017 academic year, the cost of attendance at Brown sits at $64,566. This includes $13,200 for room and board, leaving us with a whopping $51,366 for tuition. If we assume the average Brown student takes about 8 classes during the school year, the total cost amounts at around $6420 per course. Each semester lasts around 13 weeks if we don’t count reading period or finals week, meaning that every no-show is costing you around $123.5.

That’s an expensive nap. To illustrate, let’s put $123.5 in Brown terms.

16 spicy with combos at Jo’s…

Everyday life #boomerang . #money #moolah #cash #coinlaundry ??? #laundry #laundryroom #coin #coins #tide #mrclean #bleach #detergent #dryclean #squeekyclean #california #surfcity #huntingtonbeach

A video posted by Tony Luciano (@tony_luciano89) on Nov 29, 2016 at 3:27pm PST

41 loads of dorm laundry…

6 Spring Weekend tickets

A little #wcw love to my one and only. We were the oldest people at #brownspringweekend, but at least we didn't get EMSed #sheseighteen #almostnineteen #modestmouse @mobesha

A photo posted by ACM (@fullrangecoach) on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:06pm PDT

8 months of group classes at the Nelson

36 Blue Room muffins

12 nights out at the Colosseum

Brown University