Brown hockey team begins fundraising after fire consumes house

Residents lost all their possessions

Early morning at 6:30 am on April 14, 185 Angell St, better known as the Men’s Hockey House, the eight residents of the home awoke to the house engulfed in flames.

Mark Naclerio ’16, Joe Prescott ’16, Brandon Pfeil ’16, Peter Lappin ’16, Kyle Kramer ’17 and three others made quick escapes from the home.  Some who were unable to reach the ground floor from the stairs had to jump from the second floor down into the arms of their teammates.

All of the residents lost almost every possession in the fire, including clothing, furniture, laptops and more.

Thankfully, no one was severely injured. One teammate and two firefighters were taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, but have since fully recovered.

All eight housemates are now displaced from their home and in search of permanent living arrangements for the remainder of the year. Four are seniors and will be graduating in the next month.

The team is now fundraising to replace the items lost, many of which are personally significant, among other household items.

According to the GoFundMe page, the team is asking for any possible donation from family, friends and the Brown community. Any money that does not go towards replacing the household items will go to a charity or to the Brown Hockey Program.

The team wrote: “This means a great deal to us because we are eight hard working students part of a prestigious and historic school and hockey program, who have cherished every second spent at Brown.”

If you would like to donate, the link can be found here.

Brown University national-us