Prospective student in ‘pong-playing’ shocker

Let pre-frosh play pong in peace

I know several people who play beer pong, real heroes of the table who don’t get the attention they deserve.

Charlie, my roommate, hit redemption three times last weekend and he didn’t even get a tweet from The Daily Caller— I should’ve leaked a Snapchat. How does one do that?

When any prospective freshman comes to Brown, they get a little extra attention. Usually priority on the pong table, too — it’s part high-schooler novelty and part duty as school ambassadors.

But the hospitality of school ambassadorship seems to have been abandoned when a DOTPOTUS was the pre-frosh. Brown students should be concerned with creating a comfortable environment for their peers at all times. When you’re in a completely new and perhaps challenging situation, e.g. double overtime with one cup of natty staring you between the eyes, you don’t want to deal with the surprise lens of a bystander’s iSight.

Some things that would make me uncomfortable:

• A Twitpic of me eating outside of Andrews Commons taken at a distance by someone I don’t know
  • News stories about me in a campus publication. C’mon, The Tab. One of the reasons anyone should come to Brown is that Brown students are coolheaded enough not to write a story like that
  • Seeing myself in a “leaked Snapchat.” Especially if I’m underage and next to an alleged adult beverage

A good school ambassador would lend a meal swipe, let the pre-frosh sink cups and keep the Snapchats airtight.

Exploiting a prospective student is an awkward appeal for attention – no matter who they are. Brown students build an entire reputation on acting like they’ve been there before.

Brown University