I am not an English major as a ‘back up’

And I’m not aspiring to be a barista either

People always ask me why I chose to be an English major. But instead of asking, “Why are you an English major?” it’s more like “Are you an English major because…” Some common lines go something like “You must really hate math,” or “Are you trying to be the next Shakespeare?” The truth is, I love being an English major. It’s important because we know the difference between there, their, and they’re. It’s interesting because we read novels instead of boring textbooks. It’s rewarding because English majors have the strengthened skill set to become anything we can dream of becoming. Here are some things we won’t be:

Your Starbucks barista

No, I will not be making your next venti non-fat caramel macchiato with extra caramel drizzle. Just because I am learning about authors and poets who died decades ago doesn’t mean their work is irrelevant. My classes may seem like they are just a reiteration of the basic writing and grammar skills you learned as a kid, but they’re so much more. As an English major, you are taught to analyze every word and every sentence for hidden meanings and then you learn how to write that way yourself. My classes have taught me how to find my strengths and fine-tune them. English majors tend to be perfectionists, poring over every word of their ten page essays or carefully choosing their words even when talking to their friends.

Your kid’s middle school teacher

No, you will not be having parent teacher conferences with me in ten years. I am reading Shakespeare plays and learning correct grammar so that I can apply these skills to every day life. Yes, I will be better at helping my kids with their homework and I would love to proofread your essay, but that’s not necessarily going to be my job. English majors actually learn how to analyze, research, and debate, which can lead to careers in fields such as writing, media, or law. Many teachers actually did not major in English and many English majors don’t end up in education. Some other interesting fields that you can find former English majors in are design, editing, directing, or real estate.

Your local news reporter

No, you will not see me being attacked by cats on live TV or reporting the weather. Many English majors found at Binghamton also have a concentration in rhetoric. This does not necessarily mean that every English major with a concentration in rhetoric wants to “concentrate in rhetoric” for life. Since BU does not offer communications as a major, a major in English with rhetoric is the best alternative. Although my rhetoric classes are mostly about journalism, how to interview people and write an article, I view these as fundamental skills that everyone should know. Some of my favorite college classes have been rhetoric classes because I learn communication skills, which translate to much more than being a journalist or reporter.

Your trophy wife

No, I will not be sitting at home cooking a five-course meal and getting my nails done while my significant other is the sole breadwinner. A common misconception is that English majors end up as stay at home mom and dads or just don’t make a lot of money. However, plenty of English majors have grown up to become someone amazing and they turned out pretty well. Here are a few examples: Clarence Thomas is a judge on the Supreme Court, Herb Scannell is the president of MTV Networks Group, Chevy Chase is a famous actor who was also a major contributor to Saturday Night Live. If you need more proof, here are some names you have definitely heard of: Conan O’Brien, Barbara Walters, Steven Spielberg, Matt Damon, or Emma Watson. I bet the names of business executives and doctors aren’t as familiar as these inspiring English majors.

So the next time you ask an English major if they chose English because they want to be one of these, think twice. While you’re at it, maybe ask yourself why you aren’t an English major.

SUNY Binghamton