Meet the BC students with the same last name as your dorm

‘If anything’s going to Make America Great Again, it’s Walsh Hall’

From Upper to Lower to Newton Campus, we interviewed some BC students to see if there was any connection between each of their last names and one of the following six residence halls on campus.

We found out a little bit more about the reputations of these buildings in the process.

Edmonds (Lower Campus)

Katherine “Kat” Edmonds[on], CSOM ’19

Do you have any relation to Edmonds, and do you get this question a lot?

“I don’t have any relation to the building and have never been asked about it.”

What’s your best memory in Edmonds, and did you live there?

“I’m a current freshman, so I have not lived in Edmonds. However, I did stay there for a couple of nights when I attended a volleyball camp over the summer two years ago at BC. Also, this isn’t about me personally, but my parents (both BC alums) actually got engaged outside of Edmonds when they returned to campus a few years after graduating. They lived in Edmonds at the same time during their time at BC.”

In your opinion, what is Edmonds’ reputation on campus?

“It’s kind of the leftover dorm, never really anyone’s first choice.”

Cushing (Newton Campus)

John “Jack” Cushing, A&S ’18

Do you have any relation to Cushing, and do you get this question a lot?

“I actually have no relation to the name of the building, but I do get the question a lot. The closest connection that I have is that my dad (Class of ’85) actually lived in Cushing during his freshmen year.”

What’s your best memory in Cushing, and were you a resident?

“I did not live in Cushing but rather lived in Loyola on Upper. I volunteered for a forced triple the summer going into my freshmen year so I had no chance of getting Cushing on Newton. The only memory I have there took place during my junior year of high school when my dad gave me a tour of Newton Campus and brought me to the door room that he lived in.”

In your opinion, what is Cushing’s reputation on campus?

“I believe that Cushing’s reputation on campus is not talked about much. Since I did not live on Newton, I don’t have much of an opinion of the buildings on that campus.”

How has your housing luck been so far at BC?

“I’ve had decent housing luck. I am in an 8 man (Walsh 221) this year, but I only have 3 years of housing so I have to go off campus next year.”

Williams (CoRo)

Daniel Williams, CSOM ’16

Do you have any relation to Williams, and do you get this question a lot?

“I don’t, though that would be cool to say that it was named after me, right? But, I did get that question a bit when people asked where I lived and prefaced my response by stating that it is like my last name. Otherwise, I am not even quite sure exactly who the building was named after.”

What’s your best memory in Williams, and did you live there?

“The air-conditioned lounges in the basement on a very warm day — since the rooms do not have climate controlling. Great for taking conference calls, too, in the “faith” room.”

In your opinion, what is Williams’ reputation on campus?

“Distant from the ‘rest’ of the life on campus, and isolated from the action that people akin to the Mods and Lower campus. Otherwise, it is seen as the island of misfits who did not get housing elsewhere, similar to the whole Upper-Newton campus dynamic for freshmen.”

“Not too bad. Upper in Gonzaga, to Williams (which was fairly quiet I guess), to Edmonds now for my final year. Last class in Edmonds, too, so somewhat historical and neat.”

Medeiros (Upper Campus)

Ashly Medeiros, School of Social Work ’16

Do you have any relation to Medeiros, and do you get this question a lot?

“I do not have any relation to the name of the building.”

In your opinion, what is Medeiros’ reputation on campus?

“I’m not sure. I’m an advanced standing MSW student (just began my program this past June) and have not heard anything about the building yet.”

“I have lived off campus in an apartment thus far. I had no problem finding housing, I had a friend that has lived in the apartment for the past 5 years. So, moving from Maine this past summer was an easy transition for me and my Sato (Puerto Rican street dog)!”

Shaw House (Upper Campus)

Jessica Shaw, A&S ’19

Do you have any relation to Shaw House, and do you get this question a lot?

“No, and surprisingly no, too!”

What’s your best memory in Shaw House, and did you live there?

“Incidentally, Shaw House is actually the only freshman dorm on Upper that I’ve never been inside!”

In your opinion, what is Shaw’s reputation on campus?

“Enigmatic? I honestly can’t speak to the reputation because I know so little about it! The students seem pretty cool there this year.”

Walsh (Lower Campus)

Claire Walsh, LSOE ’16

Do you have any relation to Walsh, and do you get this question a lot?

“I am not related to anyone, but I get this question a lot (it is more common that people ask if I lived in Walsh).”

What’s your best memory in Walsh, and did you live there?

“I lived in Vandy sophomore year, but one of my good friends had an 8 man there with a great TV, and I remember watching the Super Bowl game with her because she was a huge Broncos fan (unfortunately they lost that year!). We definitely hung out there for a while that year on Marathon Monday as well, which was awesome.”

In your opinion, what is Walsh’s reputation on campus?

“While I’ve heard that Walsh has become much more strict over the years, I’m sure it’s still a lot of fun. Currently neighbors with Walsh, now that I’m living in Edmonds, and I can often hear music coming from there on the weekends.”

“I’ve lucked out with housing overall. I’ve lived in Claver on Upper, Vandy, 2000 when I came back from abroad, and Edmonds. Edmonds is actually pretty fun and in a good location, so no complaints.”

James Walsh, A&S ’17

“I do not have any relation to the name of the building. I rarely have been asked that, but often joke sarcastically with people that I do.”

“Best memories in Walsh were whenever the cops came to an 8 man’s door and everyone would run out into the hallway. I never lived there, I was in Vandy sophomore year and I was quite okay with that.”

“Walsh’s reputation is the dorm that BC doesn’t really care about, in the sense that it is designated as the party dorm basically.”

How has your housing been so far at BC?

“Housing luck has been good. Lived on Upper as a freshman, Vandy as a sophomore, off campus this year, and got the very first pick time for the Mods next year and obviously picked one.”

Matt Walsh, A&S ’16

“I did not live in Walsh, but my greatest memory was hanging in the penthouse, Walsh 807.”

“Where sophomores go to get drunk and punch ceiling tiles.”

How has your housing been so far at BC?

“It sucked not getting a mod, but Ruby is a good consolation.”

Boston College