Producers say Jack Dunn dialogue was fiction in Spotlight

It was all for dramatic effect

University spokesperson and Trustee of Boston College High School Jack Dunn has won his fight against the producers of ‘Spotlight,’ the Oscar-award winning Best Picture for this year. 

The Studio that distributed the film, Open Roads, released a statement Tuesday stating the dialogue in the movie with Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn was fictionalized.

In the Oscar-award winning film, Jack Dunn is played in the film by Gary Galone. According to Dunn, his character’s dialogue was inaccurate and didn’t properly represent his reaction following allegations of sexual assault at BC High.

In an interview with the Boston Globe immediately following the release of Spotlight, Dunn said: “The things they have me saying in the movie, I never said.”

He added: “But worse is the way they have me saying those things, like I didn’t care about the victims, that I tried to make the story go away. The dialogue assigned to me is completely fabricated and represents the opposite of who I am and what I did on behalf of victims.”

In a statement, Open Road Films said: “As is the case with most movies based on historical events, ‘Spotlight’ contains fictionalized dialogue that was attributed to Mr. Dunn for dramatic effect.

“We acknowledge that Mr. Dunn was not part of the Archdiocesan cover-up. It is clear from his efforts on behalf of the victims at BC High that he and the filmmakers share a deep, mutual concern for victims of abuse”.

Now after the Open Road statement has been released, Dunn now feels “exonerated” but “it will not erase the devastating experience of being falsely portrayed in a film,” he said.

Jack Dunn’s lawyer, David Rich, said part of the settlement included Open Road agreeing to donate to charities like Resilient Kids and the Big Brothers Association of Boston.

Boston College