I was bitten by a shark on Spring Break

Twice, in fact

Spring Break is the perfect opportunity to neglect your responsibilities, kick back and bask in the sun while slowly drinking away the midterms you bombed the previous week.

For Dan Kenny, a CSOM sophomore hailing from Northern New Jersey, Spring Break was not quite the usual week of  relaxation: he found myself ending his sunny vacation in a Florida hospital, with a torn Achilles and a shark tooth lodged in his right foot.

The shark tooth in all its glory

Last Friday, Dan kicked off the day hoping to end a beautiful week in Vero Beach on a high note. After having been bed-ridden with the flu a few days prior, he was excited to capitalize on his last beach day.

Around 3 PM, while waist-deep in the Florida waters with his best friend Nik, Dan was suddenly struck with incredible pain in his right foot, crawling back to shore while screaming, “I’ve been bit!” Nik immediately ran over to Dan, rushing over to find  that a Black Tip shark had just bitten Dan – twice, for that matter.

No bad days!

Somehow still all smiles, Dan was rushed to the hospital where he was immediately taken to urgent care. He came out a few hours later with thirteen stitches in his foot, a torn Achilles and a small shark tooth still stuck somewhere amidst his mangled foot.

Still smiling!

Needless to say, Shark Boy had a Spring Break for the books. Make sure to help him out if you see him wheeling himself around campus after his surgery tomorrow – he responds exclusively to Sharkey or Sharkman Dan.

Getting creative with his new wheelchair life

Boston College