Why BC friendships are stronger than friendships from high school

Could it have something to do with our common love for the Hogwarts-esque campus?

With the stress of the housing assignments coming up, I thought it would be important to express how strong my friendships at BC are compared to the drama-filled life I had during high school before my life becomes like a crossover of The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones for an 8-man.

These are the reasons why it seems to be so much easier to relate to your college friends

We have the same enemies (looking at you, BU)

Yes, there are rivalries in high school, but nothing can compare to the hatred and disgust that we all feel towards BU. This bond blows up our Yik Yak and packs the house at every game that we play against them. The chants at our hockey games (“It’s all your fault”) are enough to make even BU’s strongest Terrier cry like a baby.

Even though the Beanpot has the word “pot” in it and BU students have a soft spot for a puff, BC still beat them in both women’s and men’s hockey.

We’re proud to support our alum even when they’re on a polygamous dating show 

I have been watching The Bachelor since I was 10, which probably wasn’t my parents’ best move, but the fact that CSOM grad, Caila, is killing it (and is definitely going to be the next Bachelorette) has led to the BC Story to be filled with viewing parties which celebrate when she gets a rose before one of the 1039 blondes.

She even came to her old room at  BC and, yes, I filmed her entrance off of someone else’s phone and I don’t even feel that weird about it. Whenever one of my friends is sad, someone sends a picture of Olivia’s mouth and all is well again.

We bond over the woes of college life

Whether it’s that time when the dining menus online get you excited for mac and cheese but they lied to you and there is no mac and cheese so you just eat salad bar for the 3rd night in row, or when someone on your floor clogs the drain with hair and you call your friends in to point at it and say “ew,” there are a lot of things that you can only relate to your college friends about.

My high school friends can’t commiserate with me when I have to take the bus to class or when the line for Eagle’s ends by the stairs to Mac.

Your high school friends won’t understand why it is so miraculous that you got this beauty in only 10 mins.

You see each other all the time

I never anticipated brushing my teeth with my friends nearly every night, or eating almost every meal with the same people, but there’s something really nice about having a family made up of people who come from all over the country (or world), especially when you’re going months without seeing your actual family.

We may get fed up with each other, but we handle it with a nasty look in the hallway or a dramatic exit at a Mod party instead of the passive aggressive group texts from high school.

That guy looks really happy to be a part of my moment.

Boston College