What are you giving up for Lent?

Would shots of Rubi be considered a sacrifice or a blessing?

With the hangover of Mardi Gras slowing us down, and lopsided crosses of ashes on our foreheads, its time to sacrifice for the next forty days and forty nights in honor of the Lenten season.

For the few on campus who don’t know the meaning of lent (all that Sunday school is about to pay off, thanks Dad!), it is the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter that Christians focus on spiritual purification, meditation and penance. The time is a representation of the forty days Jesus fasted in the desert before he started his ministry.  While it is not required to give something up for lent it is one of the most common ways to recognize the season meant for spiritual growth.

On a Jesuit campus it wasn’t hard to find people who were ‘sacrificing’ something that they love in order to bring themselves closer to God, or at least something that could help get rid of the few extra pounds hanging around from winter break just in time for their trip to Cancun.

Sophomores Grant Dalton and Michael Ganz, Finance

Grant: “Interviewing for articles, this will be my last one.” (Lent started today Grant, but glad to have you!)

Michael: “I’m Jewish….”

Lauren Hansford, Freshman, Environmental Studies and Theology 

“Instead of giving something up, I am going to read the bible on the She Reads Truth app every morning”

Juniors Gabby DellAquillo and Maddie Quirk, Marketing 

Gabby- “Dairy and gluten.  Wait… there is gluten in beer, just dairy!”

Maddie: “Meat.”

Josh Williams, Junior, Econ

“Coke Zero, well mostly soda, but Coke Zero specifically.”

He’s already making healthier choices…look at that salad!

Monica Gonzalez-Curic, Sophomore, Finance 

“Well I gave up bread, but I just ate some.”

We’ve all been there Monica.

Ronald Claude, Senior, International Studies 

“Meat.”

Ciaran Clearly, Junior, Marketing and Business Analytics

“I’m giving up The Tab.”

Ouch! Thats a big sacrifice.

Maddie Cann, Freshman, International Studies 

“Chocolate.” Respect, Valentines Day is this weekend.

James Potter, Junior, Biology

“French fries.”

We’ll check back to see how this holds up circa 2 AM Saturday.

Haley Bower, Sophomore, Sociology 

“Peanut butter, but I don’t think that the peanut butter in Reese’s will count.” Sounds like a fair trade off, I think God will understand.

I for one will be giving up taking shots of Rubi, not sure if it is a sacrifice or a blessing in disguise, but I think my liver will be thanking God for sure.

Forty days from now we get to break out our best Vineyard Vines pastels, let’s just hope that spring is in bloom!

However you celebrate, or what ever you give up, keep in mind the true meaning of the Lenten season, this is after all a Jesuit university.

Boston College