Stephanie McCaffrey makes US Women’s Soccer Olympic Qualifying Roster

‘She might have a real shot at making the final 18-player Olympic roster’

Former Boston College’s Stephanie McCaffrey has been named to the US Women National Team’s Olympics Qualifying Roster.

The former Eagle, who now plays for the Boston Breakers, earned a spot on the initial roster as a forward, among players like Alex Morgan and Hope Solo.

McCaffrey played at BC from 2011-2014, earning a multitude of awards recognized at BC and the greater Atlantic Coast Conference. She was named twice to the All-ACC first team, and lead as one of the Eagle’s top scorers for all four of her seasons.

According to the release from SB Nation: “Though listed as a forward, McCaffrey has been used recently in more of a midfield role, providing width and service while also drawing in defenders.

“If she can develop a rapport on the right with Krieger, as well as with Press and/or Morgan centrally, then she might have a real shot at making the final 18-player Olympic roster.”

McCaffrey front and center with this year’s BCWS squad

Eagles Junior defenseman Meg MacDonald said: “We’re all so excited for her to see her endless hours of handwork and training pay off.

“She always worked so hard on the field and in the weight room. Whatever she did she gave it 110 percent, had a smile on her face, and usually making us all laugh along with her too with some of her ridiculous jokes.

“We wish her the best of luck and know she will do so well.”

BC Athletics announced: “The first match for the team will be on Feb. 10 against Costa Rica.

The US will then play Mexico on Saturday, Feb. 13 following by the final game vs. Puerto Rico on Monday, Feb. 15.”

Congratulations and best of luck to Stephanie!

Boston College