What’s your favorite Christmas ornament?

How beautiful are thy branches?

By the time we get home from school, our family trees are up and decorated, and if you’re like most, you look for that one ornament that holds a special place in your heart.

I sent out a random email asking students, teachers, coaches, etc. what their favorite ornament is and why. After checking my list twice, some were naughty, but some were nice to respond with the photos and answers below.

Where’s the pickle?

Gabby Perlewitz, Junior

“It’s always a tradition in my family that my parents hide the pickle ornament and my siblings and I compete to see who finds it first.”

I’m dreaming of a Bobwhite Christmas

Lexi Bender, Senior

“This is my favorite ornament, it was always on top of the tree (people usually go with an angel or star, I know). Honestly, I thought it was a real quail for longer than I’d like to admit!”

Winter wonderland

Ike Chukwu, Junior

“My favorite ornament is one my mom got when we went to Disneyland in Paris when I was a kid. That was my first time ever exploring anywhere outside the country and seeing it always reminds me of how much fun it was.”

Sassy baby

Kate Muldoon, Junior

“This is my favorite ornament because about three years ago my parents bought it for me at Universal Studios. My nickname as a baby was “sassy” because I was quite a sassy baby, and this ornament sums it up quite well!”

Holiday genius

Celeste Welles, BC Communications Professor

“With ornaments from each of our children on the tree I would basically be inviting mayhem to suggest one was superior to the other. So I took the option not offered – I call it ‘Option: No Favorites Family Save!’ I picked one photo ornament from each child. These ornaments represent that brief time in a child’s life when they proudly say, ‘Yes! Of course a picture of me glued into a juice bottle cap would be an incredible gift! I am a holiday GENIUS!'”

Christmas hit

Matt Bui, Senior

“My Ken Griffey Jr ornament was a gift from my parents. Ken Griffrey Jr was one of my big baseball idols growing up.”

Purrfect

Christina Doctor, Junior

“My favorite ornament is a twofer. We got these ornaments the month after we adopted my two cats, Cassey and Macklin. They were a bonded brother and sister pair and have been an integral part of the family since.”

Capping it off

Father (Bill) William Schmidt

“As I looked at our tree, my eye went immediately to the BC baseball cap ornament. It brings back so many good memories supporting the outstanding players took the field for BC over the years. This was a gift from the Frates Family which has special meaning for me as a tribute to Pete, the pride of Boston College in so many ways. Go Birdball 2016!”

Sköl Bills?

John McQuillen, Freshman

“My favorite Christmas ornament is probably the Minnesota Vikings ornament my mom gave my dad before they got married. It’s my favorite because she thought it was a Buffalo Bills ornament and we still make fun of her all the time for the mix up.”

Purple is lit

Garland Owens, Junior

“My favorite is any ornament that is purple, and of course it’s not an ornament,  but I love a Christmas Garland obviously cause it’s my name. Purple is my favor color and it means royalty. Purple is lit.”

The First Lavelle

Bill Lavelle, Junior

“My favorite is my first ornament ever because who doesn’t get a little nostalgic around Christmas?”

Angels on earth

Abbi Kordell, Junior

“I can’t say I have one single ornament, but ever since I was little I’ve collected angel ornaments. My grandmothers started the tradition by giving me a little two foot tree and each year they give me a new  ornament to put on the tree. I put it up every year and now we call it my angel tree.”

Pats Nation

Tyler Hatton, Freshman

“Our Patriots ornament is my favorite because it reminds me that we have the best football team in the world, the best head coach and the best quarterback.”

Christmas kicks

Robbie Driscoll, Junior

“It’s my the first pair of Timberlands I ever owned as a kid. I guess Mom thought it’d be a good idea to repurpose the beat up boots into Christmas ornaments. I grew out of those shoes when I was four years old and they’ve been hanging on our tree every year since then.”

Santa Baby

Bailey Brown, Junior

“This Kiddle doll was given to my mom 46 years ago by her Nana, and she turned it into an ornament. It is my favorite because it’s the oldest ornament on our tree, and I plan on putting it on mine someday.

“These ornaments remind us of traditions and family history. As I’ve gotten older I find it’s not what’s under the tree, but rather what’s on the tree that makes our seasons bright.”

Merry Christmas!

Boston College