We talked to the guy behind the ‘Fall in Review’ video, the best BC thing ever

Sean Casey reminds us again that Boston College is one beautiful place

Finals may be upon us – and winter may be coming – but BC’s “Fall in Review” video is a good reminder of how great Boston College is. 

Produced by Sean Casey, who created and produced this fall’s “Ever to Excel,” the Fall in Review video illustrates “study, spirit and the splendor of the changing season.”

We spoke with Sean about the planning process for the video, as well as his favorite places to shoot on campus.

What image, to you, best depicts the Boston College community? What is it like trying to convey that? 

That’s a tough one. Clearly, Gasson is stunning. That’s the problem with shooting BC – there are so many options, so many things you can show which capture the essence it means to be at BC, to be part of the family.

I like the little candids moments, where I’m hiding in the corner and able to capture something that totally isn’t planned or set up, but is a natural thing that happens.

The best shot is something that you get is totally authentic, that is so BC without even trying – that’s the best way to get a shot.

When in doubt, you always fall back to Gasson, whether it’s a regular shot on the ground or an aerial drone, every time you see the building with Boston in the background – it’s quintessential.

Which event from the video shows BC at its best? Which was your favorite event to shoot? 

One of the great shots from this one, on 48 Hours, I was hanging out and then a bunch of kids came together  and they gave each other a hug against a sunset while on Cape Cod. That was a nice shot, that was solid.

Student involvement fair is always awesome. [There’s] so much going on, you turn left and there’s a dance group trying to get you to dance with them, and then you turn right and theres a service group with a very serious message. A complete hodgepodge of what Boston College is, right there, on the campus green, all in one place.

Talk to me about the planning for this video. 

I knew I wanted to capture certain pieces of the experience of Boston College. We try to switch it up with the seasonal events, so you don’t get the same thing twice – what haven’t we captured yet, what is something we think is important like retreats, and the football game day experience.

We’ll keep coming back to the fall, and scenic shots of Boston College and it’s so easy to shoot BC because it is so beautiful. That’s what make these things give “all the feels,” as you say on Facebook.

Boston College