We interviewed CoRo kids to see how bad it really is

‘It’s kind of like in Bridesmaids when she’s like, ‘Aw you’re from Milwaukee?! I’m sorry!”

When it comes time for the housing selection process to begin each year, it brings up many emotions for Boston College students.

Well…terror, mostly.

This stress and anxiety that housing selection causes overall hits its peak early, in the late winter of students’ freshman year when they have to make the call of where and with whom they’re going to live their sophomore year.

When making this big decision, students’ most feared result is clear: people usually just do not want to end up on CoRo.

Despite this though, some of us unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you see it) souls do. Now a few months into the school year, we interviewed some fellow CoRo-er students to see how they’re faring.

Jackie Mcdonnell, Sophomore, Roncalli

How do you feel about living on CoRo?

90 percent of the time it’s really convenient because I’m close to all of my classes. On the weekend though I feel pretty isolated. And the walk down in the cold… I’m not looking forward to that.

Favorite part about it?

It’s a short list. I would say just being close to Mac and close to Stokes. And the fact that it’s really quiet so you can study. And it’s clean.

Least favorite part about it?

Just feeling kind of cut off from the rest of the sophomore class and the upperclassmen, and just being around primarily freshman in Mac. Also the Ronc 3 bathroom situation.

Do the majority of (or at least some of) your friends live on CoRo too?

Yeah yeah, I’d say definitely the majority. We were going to be in a 6-man so when we ended up on CoRo, we split up into three rooms right next to each other. And some of my other rowing friends live in other places on CoRo, too.

Do you feel it has a strong sense of community (i.e. like living on Newton freshman year)?

Not really. It’s kind of separate friend groups thrown together. A lot of us already have friend groups so there’s not really a need to branch out.

What is your reaction to other people’s reactions when they hear you live on CoRo?

I normally say, “Oh no it’s really not that bad.”

Leah Lombardi, Sophomore, Roncalli, Biology Major

Favorite part about it?

I really enjoy living with my roommate. And the ease of having the Starbucks right nearby. Except for I’ve spent like all my money there, so that’s also a negative.

Least favorite part about it?

I would say it is definitely harder to see people that live on Lower on a day-to-day basis. There’s a definite divide I would say.

Majority? I’m going to say no. But a decent number, yeah. In general, I know a lot of people that live on CoRo. I know more people that live on Lower, but I also know enough people that live on CoRo that it’s not a lonely place.

Honestly, no. I’ve met a lot of nice people from our hall but I don’t feel like in general there’s a CoRo community between buildings. Maybe people’s halls are close but… I also haven’t gone to any of the programs though.

In one word, what was your initial reaction/how did you initially feel last year when you found out you’d be living on CoRo? Is it better/worse/the same as you expected?

Disappointment. I got over it pretty quickly.

When you tell people you live on CoRo, which do you hear more often: “I hear it’s really not that bad” or “Shit that sucks”?

I usually get an “I’m sorry” sort of thing, so more of “shit that sucks”.

Patrick Dunne, Sophomore, Welch, Econ and Philosophy Major

How do you feel about living on CoRo?

I like it so far. Just the walk down to Lower is kind of annoying. But you’re right next to classes so you really can’t ask for much more than that. Plus, I lived on Newton last year so..

Favorite part about it?

Being so close to the dining hall and your own classes. It takes me two minutes to get to class in the morning, so I can wake up five minutes beforehand and get there in time.

Least favorite part about it?

It’s hard seeing friends that are on Lower. You realize you haven’t seen people in a while because you have different schedules and are living on opposite sides of campus.

Nah, I don’t. We were encouraged to keep our doors open in the beginning of the year but no one really did that.

I definitely thought it would be worse last year, just because the housing process itself was terrible and the whole thing was terrible. But after I got there it was really nice. It’s pretty much like last year and the same situation.

Is being closer to classes worth being far away from Lower/the night life on the weekends?

Yeah cause I can always just walk. It’s like an 8-10 walk down to Lower. It’s really nice because you can go back to your own small room and get sleep and everything.

I’m like, “No, it’s really not that bad. You have to come up and see it.”

It’s kind of like in Bridesmaids when she’s like, “Aw you’re from Milwaukee?! I’m sorry!”

Kevin Reidy, Sophomore, Welch, Biochem Major

Favorite part about it?

Being really close to class and not having to clean a bathroom.

Least favorite part about it?

That no one ever comes up to CoRo but everyone expects you to come down to Lower, even though it’s the same walk.

No, the majority of my friends live on Lower.

Not really.

Disappointed, I would say. And it is better than I expected.

I would say it’s worth being closer to classes and further from the night life. But I would say it’s not worth being closer to classes and farther away from all of your friends and the rest of the people on campus.

I usually get a groan and then an “Oh, I hear it’s not that bad.” Like a really condescending response.

I usually say, “Yeah it really isn’t that bad.” You just kind of have to deal the connotiations that people already have of CoRo and you’re not going to be able to change that.

Shanzi Mahmood, Sophomore, Roncalli, Marketing and Communications Major

How do you feel about living on CoRo?

I actually don’t mind it. It’s super convenient to go home between classes and being close to classes. It’s also super quiet so you can go out when you want, and when you want to stay in you can stay in.

Favorite part about it?

Being super close to food and the Williams lounge.

Least favorite part about it?

Having to walk so far to see all my friends.

Honestly I just kind of stick to my friends. I feel like if you have friends that live on CoRo it’s good, but if you don’t have friends that live on CoRo it sucks.

In one word? “Ugh.” It’s honestly so much better than I expected. Like I don’t mind it at all. I’m having a good time. Also, my friends don’t care that I live on CoRo either. They offer to walk to Mac to hang out, so I was worried for no reason.

For me, worth it because I love sleeping in until the last minute.

Boston College