Brad Bates talks basketball, Shea Field, and the BC community

He’s never gotten the BC Lookaway

We got to check out Brad Bates’s office (it’s pretty cool).

We have some truly inspiring athletes at BC, who are supported by an amazing athletic program. We talked to Brad Bates, the man running it all.

The Tab got the scoop on the future of BC tailgating, Brad’s take on basketball and the Mizzou football walkout, and a little bit more about his job as Athletic Director.

Back in college you walked onto Michigan’s football team. What was that like and have you used anything you learned from your time there in your work at BC?

I played for the greatest college football coach ever (Bo Schembechler, Head Coach of the Wolverines 1969-89). So there’s probably not a day that goes by where I don’t apply something I learned from him or the staff. I just had a tremendous experience there.

Because I was a walk-on, I had and continue to have a greater appreciation for every member of the team, whether they are the All-American basketball player or the walk-on fencer. That experience taught me to value the opportunity that’s provided for everybody and how it can be deeply developmental.

Back in the day

What can you tell me about the upcoming basketball season?

Both the men’s and the women’s [teams] have a lot of new faces. I had the chance to see both of their practices and exhibition games, and I think there is a lot of talent in both programs and the coaches are doing all of the right things. I’m excited them grow and develop and see what we can do out on the court this year.

The football team at the University of Missouri threatened to boycott due to increasing racial tensions within their university and the lack of administrative response. If this was Boston College, how would you respond to a student protest of such magnitude?

I don’t know the full details about it, but I really did like how the students were empowered and were given a voice. Beyond that, I think every situation works differently based on the engaged community. I have great appreciation for my colleagues and students, and I think the situation would be handled appropriately.

What part of your job is the most rewarding?

The best part is always the relationships. When you work within higher education, you’re around a lot of smart people from students, to faculty, to administrators, to staff and the constituency with alums. You get to know people in really meaningful ways.

Brad Bates honoring Pete Frates (’07), and the memory of Dick Kelly and Ronald Perryman (’89), and nominating Amy Poehler (’93) for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in 2014.

Brad presented Dr. Thomas Giblin (’50) with the 2015 John P. Curley  award.

What part of your role is the most frustrating? 

I have a great job. BC is incredible. We have great history and tradition, and we are striving everyday to try and surpass that to set new standards for the future. The most frustrating part is that you get to know people in personal ways, and when they suffer or experience failure, that’s the hardest part you have to deal with. But, at the same time, when you’re in a position like we are, you can really help and support them through adversity.

If the Boston College community could contribute in one way to athletics, what would it be? 

From my perspective, you always want to make sure your student athletes are as integrated with the student body as possible. And that they have opportunities to engage in as many events and experiences across campus that the other students do. And you want to see this reciprocal relationship.

We certainly want the student body to come to our athletic events and support their classmates, and in the same way, our student athletes should be going to student theatre, a cappella concerts, to any student events that are sponsored on campus so you have this wonderful hybrid community where we are actively involved in one another’s activities and are supporting each other.

What spurred on the decision to change the restrictions on Shea Field? Do you see a possibility of Shea being reopened like it once was?

The primary reason was to make sure the safety and well-being of everyone out there was insured. We ventured into it conservatively this year. And at the same time, we want to continue to provide new opportunities of places for people to tailgate on different parts of campus.

I think the new tailgate this year over at Brighton has shown that there are a lot of new spaces on our campus where we can have some really good pre- and post-game hospitality areas. We are already looking at new areas for next year, so you will see more and more experimentation as we open those opportunities.

Look for new openings on middle, lower, and Brighton campus for the 2016 season.

Where is everybody?

There have been rumors you were considering leaving your work for your alma mater. Is this true? What kept you at BC? 

Those are all rumors. I’m not going anywhere. Rumors.

What do you think about student attendance at women’s sports?

Well, we would like it to be better. Our women’s hockey team that was number one in the nation for 19 weeks in a row last year, we have the national player of year back on our team this year, and they’re undefeated.  We have our women’s basketball program that’s on the rise. Their trajectory for that program is going to be really really high.

We have a lot of women’s programs here and they’re competing at a very high level. Women’s soccer was invited to the NCAA National Championship last Monday. Field hockey was invited just before that. The more that we develop relationships on campus, the more people are going to feel more invested in one another and they will show up and support one another.

Do you have a favorite BC sports team?

That is like asking a parent to pick their favorite child. They are all favorites as you get to know the people involved in them.

Have you ever gotten the BC lookaway? / Do you know what the BC lookaway is?

Um no, what’s that?

We explain…

Well, the short answer is that I didn’t even know what it was, and now that I do, I don’t think it’s ever happened to me.

Describe the Boston College community in one word.

Family.

As for his sick office…

Located in Conte Forum, Brad’s suite sits right in the middle of all of the action. One door leads to the Athletic Administration offices, and the other leads to the press boxes used by both football and hockey. On football game days, his office is used to entertain alumni like the other boxes.

“It’s a great space. No complaints working from here.  I absolutely love it.”

The view

Boston College