We asked BC professors about Netflix and Chill and ‘on fleek’

Fleek has to do with those zippers that sometimes are sewn into shirts, jackets or pants to make them ‘fly’

As college students, we understand exactly what “on fleek,” “swag,” and “clutch” mean because these are the everyday phrases in our vocabulary.

The latest and greatest fad, “to Netflix and chill,” has taken over the young love lives of college students everywhere.

It has become a universal euphemism on college campuses, especially at BC. Whether you’ve experienced it firsthand by a late night invitation or seen it as a meme online, you know by now exactly what it means when someone says to you: “yo Netflix and chill later?”

And if you don’t know what it mean, you need to get out more…or have someone over.

What we tend to forget is that a good chunk of the BC community – our professors – are not in their 20s.

They’re adorably oblivious when we say things like “your sweater is on fleek today” and “hey bae.”

The Tab interviewed some of our lovely professors to find out their interpretations of our bizarre slang words.

Professor Kaplan-Maxfield

Literature Core, Studies in Narrative, Creative Nonfiction

What do you think “swag” means?

This means having a lot of “lettuce” that you swing around in front of people to make them envious of you. Thus the term “swag” which actually is derived from the Old English swaa;gre: meaning to swing (money) in the air.​

What do you think to “Netflix and Chill” means?

Netflix, of course, is the Sputnik of our times. Do you know what Sputnik is? It’s like Telstar, which is another word for the God Who Broadcasts Really Awful Movies down to us poor sinful humans. To be “chill” is of course to watch Netflix outside on a cold winter evening, though why anyone would want to be that kind of cool, no one knows.​

What do you think “on fleek” means?

Fleek has to do with those zippers that sometimes are sewn into shirts, jackets or pants to make them “fly.”

What do you think to “throw shade at someone” means?

This is particularly relevant to trees. They are shady creatures, which means that anyone who stands up tall, like Taylor Swift, automatically “throws shade” at someone like Nicki Minaj, simply because she’s so tall (I mean Swift and her crew), like a tree. Minaj really hates that shit.​

If you had to Instagram a #WCW, who would it be?

Tuesday Weld

Professor Rossetto

Interpersonal Communication, Communication in Family Relationships

What do you think “swag” means?

I would think of swag as stuff that goes with something, like swag bags at the Oscars for the celebrities, but also it could be a shortened term for swagger like the way that you walk.

To hangout and watch a movie with friends.

What do you think “on fleek” means?

I would say stylish or on fire.

What do you think “bae” means?

I thought it first came from people confusing it with Beyonce, but I assume bae would mean kinda like my boo.

To give them the BC lookaway or the talk to the hand from the 90s.

What do you think to “slide into your DMs” means?

I don’t know, is it the people who are like obsessive on social media and insert themselves into everything you post?

If you had to choose a #MCM to Instagram, who would it be?

In my rebellious phase, it would be Jax from Sons of Anarchy (Charlie Hunnam), but my responsible answer is Taye Diggs.

Professor Wells

Rhetorical Tradition and Communication Methods: Critical Culture

What do you think “swag” means?

Swag means that you have style.

Oh my gosh, I was just going to say to my class why in the cruds has that become such a popular thing? My stepson and his girlfriend dressed up as Netflix and Chill for Halloween, but I just thought “oh that’s cute!”

What do you think “on fleek” means?

On point, like that song was on fleek.

What do you think to “throw shade at someone” mean?

To disrespect or put someone down.

What do you think to “slide into your DMs” means?

It means like I’m going to find out more about her.

If you had to Instagram a #MCM, who would it be?

Idris Elba.

Professor Preskenis

Marketing Principles 

What do you think “swag” means?

The way you carry yourself, how you come across to people.

I guess my innocent answer would be to watch a movie and relax.

What do you think “on fleek” means?

I have no clue – does it mean inappropriate?

What do you think “bae” means?

Does it stand for best actress ever? That’s all I can think of.

What do you think to “throw shade at someone” means?

To cover them up somehow.

What do you think “slide into your DMs” means?

Along the lines of say photobombing.

Sandra Bullock.

Professor Rosenthal

Public Speaking and Persuasion

What do you think “swag” means?

I think it means stuff… I don’t have enough swag compared to students.

To watch a movie and relax.

What do you think “on fleek” means?

On fleek? Maybe that it looks good and is stylish.

What do you think to “throw shade at” means?

Maybe to flirt.

To check out what’s been posted on Instagram that day.

He’s dead, but Paul Newman.

While some of the #MCM and #WCW celebrities our professors chose are either dead or from way before our time, we can at least have a new appreciation for our professors and their explanations of our ridiculous vocabulary.

To my surprise, some of them knew exactly what they were talking about, so be careful of talking about your Friday night “Netflix and Chill” session right in front of them.

Boston College