Intramural injuries and the endless quest for a mug

Forget the D1 athletes

Intramural athletes represent the pinnacle of athleticism here at Boston College. Forget the D1 athletes and their hands-free segways, forget the club athletes and their probation-worthy parties, intramural is the real deal.

In light of the intensity of intramural sports, it is no surprise that crippling injuries plague the ranks of athletes. Ranging from dislocated members to bloody gashes, these battle wounds have forever changed the landscape of recreational sports.

One fallen hero that I had the pleasure to interview is a young Freshman, Keillor Beckwith, who found his tragic fate playing an intramural flag football game. Upon leaping into the air to retrieve a game-changing Hail Mary pass, he found his finger colliding with the overly inflated football, violently dislocating his pinky finger.

Keillor Beckwith, Freshman

Step aside Brady, we’re dealing with Inflategate over here

The perpetrator: Flag football.

How it happened: Upon leaping into the air to retrieve a game-changing Hail Mary pass, he found his finger colliding with the overly inflated football, violently dislocating his pinky finger.

Battle wound: Dislocated pinky finger.

Maria Vetter, Junior

Maria, proudly sharing with all her battle wounds before being sent to St. E’s

The perpetrator: Flag football.

Her team name: Victorious Secret.

How it happened: She was the safety for her team. As the opponent was running the ball, she lunged for his flags, and after her hand tangled itself somewhere along his waist, she looked down to realize that her finger was no longer pointing in the right direction.

Screaming, tears and adrenaline-fueled laughter ensued as Maria was taken off the field and shipped off the St. Elizabeth’s. Despite her persistently asking her teammates to pop her finger back into place so she could continue on to her intramural soccer game, Maria ended up going to Newton-Wellesley where she had a pin surgically inserted into her finger.

But do not fret, she will return to full dexterity in no time when she has the pin removed later this month.

Battle wound: Dislocated and fractured left ring finger.

Tyler Hatton, Freshman

The perpetrator: Flag football.

His team name: The Tight Ends.

How it happened: Two weeks ago, when he went to cut in an intense game of flag football, his knee suddenly popped and buckled, leading to a torn ACL.

With his intramural career now on the line, Tyler is cautiously optimistic for his surgery in 6 weeks time, which will then be followed by 5 to 6 months of recovery, until he can once again tear up the field with the Tight Ends.

Battle wound: Torn ACL.

Intramural referees weigh in

With serious injuries slowly taking out star athletes one by one, we’ve decided to turn to the referees, and see their take on this veritable bloodbath.

Joel Kitchen, a sophomore Club and Women’s Varsity Volleyball practice team star, is a seasoned veteran of the intramural world. He’s even won a coveted mug for a past victory in walleyball.

This year, hoping to give back to the community that has given him so much, he has dedicated himself to refereeing intramural sports.

Joel (far right), in his former glory as a 2015 Intramural Walleyball Champ

Joel attributed this phenomenon to the superior abilities of many of the dominant intramural athletes. Although he has never witnessed anything worse than unlucky athletes receiving a volleyball to the face, he acknowledges how common and widespread these injuries often are.

All in all, intramural sports are so much more than a recreational activity. They are the very foundation of this institution, combining fun, competition and entertainment for the student body.

It is no surprise that so many of our peers have lost in the endless pursuit for an intramural mug.

The Tab wishes the best of luck to our aforementioned fallen heroes in their recovery. Tyler, don’t tell anyone which one is your weak knee, they’ll come back for your next year.

Boston College