Clinton Kelly returns to campus

The What Not To Wear host claims to have a very close relationship with ‘the universe’

If you didn’t watch What Not to Wear when it was on TLC then you missed out. The same goes for attending Clinton Kelly’s talk at BC last Friday.

Mr. Kelly entered McGuinn 121 to a far more enthusiastic crowd than usually fills that room for history core classes. He was also very well dressed (obviously). Within moments phones were out and snap stories were being taken until Clinton kindly asked us to put our phones away so that he could connect with us, rather our iPhones.

He began by describing his career trajectory, starting with his time here at Boston College where he was a communication major and officer for the University Chorale. He claims to have changed his major “probably 12 times” before choosing one.

Clinton’s favorite courses were in writing – he cited a prose course and a creative writing class in which, he said, the professor changed his life. Now, working on a book of short stories, his BC writing professor still helps edit his work.

After BC, Clinton went to Northwestern University and earned a masters in journalism to focus more on the specific skills he needed to be a journalist.

He then moved to New York City, and advised us to “go where your dreams are most likely to be fulfilled.” Starting off as a freelance writer and editor, Clinton worked his way up the masthead, taking and leaving multiple jobs whenever his gut told him to.

He says that people are too concerned with sticking a job out, even when they don’t like it, because they are afraid whatever comes next will be worse, or only working somewhere for a year will look bad on your resume – though neither or these are true. The Clinton Kelly method for success? Be “smart, hardworking, and likeable.”

He assures the crowd that yes, you can make people like you.

How? “Just don’t be a dick.”

Clinton says that he asks himself everyday if the life he’s living is the life he wants to be living, and if not, is he moving towards that life or farther away. He encourages us all do the same thing.

As a successful magazine editor, Clinton still did not feel fulfilled and says that he, “in a fairly meditative place, asked the universe to meet me halfway. I believe that there is something out there in the universe that will help you if you ask.”

He felt like he was in a slump in his career and asked the universe to show him a path to take and promised to “take it, not questions asked.” Not long after, the opportunity to audition for What Not To Wear came along.

At first, Clinton doubted the show would succeed at first when he entered in season two, but gave it a chance since he did promise the universe. At his call-back audition he said the chemistry between himself and co-host Stacy London was “there right away – we were laughing at each other’s jokes, finishing each other’s sentences.”

The show ran on TLC for ten years and Clinton said that what made it fulfilling for him wasn’t necessarily the fashion, but the feeling of helping people. He still keeps in touch with many people from the show.

Now he hosts another successful television show, The Chew, and has won an Emmy.

When asked where he sees his career going in the future, he says he honestly has no idea. He plans to do this job until it is no longer fulfilling for him and conducive to life he wants to lead.

Clinton describes a job as a symbiotic relationship: you provide your skills to the company and in turn, they help you learn and grow in your career. When you feel as though you are giving more than you are getting from of the job, that’s when you need to make a change.

On the stressful internship and job search we BC students are faced with, Clinton said: “trust your gut. It may sound weird, but your body knows.”

He reminds us that it isn’t a commitment that we need to stay with forever – we need to do things that makes us happy. Clinton says he has not only had a successful career, but a happy life, and it seems like his positive, confident outlook has a lot to do with this.

Oh, and he was absolutely hilarious.

In every way, Clinton Kelly has made his alma matter proud.

Boston College