Eagles cornerback Gabe McClary: ‘I am digging the black backpack’

In a word, he’d say Coach Addanzio is ‘animated’

BC Football will be away at Clemson this weekend, but we’ll still be chanting ‘Eagles on the Warpath’ in spirit.

We met up with sophomore Gabe McClary, cornerback for the Eagles. The Orlando native and English major cites Justin Simmons is his role model, and despite playing a contact sport, says his biggest pet-peeve is being touched.

He discussed his thoughts on the season and what he’s looking forward to later in the season.

What are your thoughts on how you think the season is going so far?

It’s been going pretty well but we are not anywhere near where we should be. We should be only go up from here.

What has been your favorite moment in your college career so far?

My favorite moment was beating Virginia Tech last year because that was the game that made us bowl eligible and it was a big moment. It was great knowing that if we lost games after that, we would still be going to the bowl. It was a very memorable game for me.

What is your biggest goal for the rest of the season? 

Definitely to win at least 9 games.

What kind of adjustments have you guys made to help prepare you guys for the next game? 

We’ve changed our mindset and realized we all have to play for the team – regardless if it is defense or offense. Whether it is the quarterback or linebacker – we are all one team.

What game are you the most excited for?

Notre Dame because of the rivalry.

How does it feel to be moving up on the team? 

It feels great to play a lot. Especially after my freshman year where I didn’t get to see a lot of the field. Being out there now and getting a lot of snaps is the best feeling in the world.

Gabe, left

Last season, you were named on the ACC Academic Honor Roll. How is it managing your schoolwork and football throughout the season and offseason?

It is pretty hard because most time you don’t feel like doing work at all but you have to make yourself do it. There is this diagram where you have to choose between your sport, friends, school, sleeping and most times I choose football, sleeping and friends, and sometimes I choose school. [laughs]

Describe Coach Addazio in one word. 

Animated.

Black backpack or white backpack?

I am digging the black backpack because it is bigger and the straps are sick.

Boston College