Everything you realize your first few weeks at Auburn

So this is what it takes to be a Tiger

They say college is one of the best times of your life, but what they don’t tell you is why. Why is college so great? Over the past three weeks, I have gotten a small snapshot into the crazy War Eagle roller coaster ride I am in for the next four years.

Processed with VSCO with s3 preset

Samford Lawn: home of the go-to “Auburn photo-opts”

Here are the top ten things, in no particular order, that have surprised me as an incoming freshman:

Freedom

This is a time in your life where you learn to “adult.” For me, this was one of the most appealing aspects of moving away from the comforts of home. If you’re like me and extremely independent, then college is the place for you. There’s always something to do at Auburn. 

Judah & The Lion playing during Welcome Week

This new found independence comes with drawbacks. You do have to watch what you eat and how you spend your money. However, college is the trial run to adulthood, so a few mistakes are bound to happen, right?

Dress code

I won’t say it’s mandatory, but rather a social norm: the college uniform. We all know it and love it. Long, baggy t-shirt, norts (but untraceable thanks to the t-shirt) and tennis shoes. Oh, and don’t forget the “fresh-out-of-bed messy bun” that we all know you spent twenty minutes on. When I attended Camp War Eagle this past summer, I pointed out to my mom, “Mom you can tell I’m still a freshman because you can still see my pants.” No kidding. I swear half the girls I pass on the concourse don’t have pants on. But who cares? At least there isn’t a dress code or we’d all be doomed for our 8am’s.

Scantrons

Most of us are no stranger to the Scantron sheet (thank you standardized testing). However, the moment I walked into my first day of classes, I said goodbye to the luxury of having my teacher bring it to class for me. We now have to BUY our own Scantrons… great.

Textbooks

Wait, you mean to tell me that I not only have to buy my own Scantron sheets, but also my textbooks? For all you future Tigers, order textbooks online through the bookstore if your professor releases the textbook titles before class begins. I’m sure I paid a ridiculous extra amount, but the convenience of the book pickup process made up for it immensely.

Food

Let me tell you, I love my school, but we have next to no food on campus. Do you like Chickfila, Panda Express, Starbucks? Yea me too… well that was before it was my only option for food. Don’t get me wrong, Plains to Plate, ABP and Wellness are great, but you can only have so much of one place.

Waffle tacos brought to you in part by Plains to Plate

Get used to dino-shaped chicken nuggets or a sweet potato cooked in the microwave, an apple or handful of carrots, and mug (because what college dorm room has drinking glasses) of chocolate milk in your dorm.

Phone addiction

Seriously it amazes me how other students are constantly glued to their phone. Maybe being raised in TN rubbed off too many proper etiquette manners, but it still shocks me how absorbed by their phones fellow students are even during class. Put down the phones, smile and say hi to someone. 

Living mates

You hear horror stories about random assignment, but hopefully you lucked out. However, living with other people comes with things like who’s turn is it to take out the trash, or buy toilet paper or kill the cockroach.

Coffee

8am’s are impossible without a nice shot of caffeine. Your Keurig is probably your go-to for a cheap, easy cup-o-joe. I’ve tried the Prevail Union coffee shop on S College. Verdict: love the atmosphere and location, coffee was expensive and okay, but I’ll most likely frequent the shop because of its proximity to my morning classes. On the coffee shops to visit list: The Bean and Mocha Mommas.

Netflix

Netflix is up there next to coffee as an essential college item. Thank you Netflix for providing an easy 40 minute way to procrastinate from the homework due tomorrow.

Familiarity

I rarely get homesick. This past summer I spent nearly four weeks away from home and never missed it. However, in my past two weeks at Auburn, I have found I often miss the familiarity of home. Mom, sister, dogs, friends, basically anyone who knows me… Meeting people is hard, but just remind yourself that it’s only week three and friends will come!

Despite a few surprises, I could not be more excited for these next four years. War Eagle!

Auburn University