ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism revokes award from Charlie Rose

Notable CBS reporter loses Cronkite achievement award due to sexual harassment allegations

Since November, eight women have accused former CBS reporter Charlie Rose, 75, of sexual misconduct spanning the 1990s and 2000s.

In a direct response to the allegations, Rose’s show The Charlie Rose Show, which aired on PBS and Bloomberg TV, was cancelled. CBS News President David Rhodes issued the following statement, “A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose’s employment with CBS News, effective immediately…Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace — a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work.”

Rose received the Cronkite award just two years ago from the Arizona State University School of Journalism. After much discussion between students, alumni, staff and news leaders, the school has chosen to rescind the award. Dean Christopher Callahan said the, “transgressions are so egregious that they demand nothing less than a reversal of history.”

The decision was made official on November 24.

The school has never before taken back an award. Callahan continued, "The idea of 'taking back' a Cronkite Award is so foreign that the possibility was never even considered when the award was first created…”

(Cover Photo)

Arizona State University