Uber self-driving cars now being tested in Tempe

‘AZ is paving the way for new technology and businesses’

Uber has moved testing of its new self-driving cars to Tempe, according to Gov. Doug Ducey’s office.

East Valley Tribune reports that the testing has moved from San Francisco to Tempe after experiencing problems with SF permit regulations, specifically the insistence of California officials that Uber needed to apply for and receive a $150 permit.

California revoked Uber’s vehicle registrations on Dec. 22nd and Uber has since loaded up their cars and headed to the Copper State.

Uber was welcomed to Arizona on Dec. 23rd by governor Ducey and other officials. Uber was quoted in a press statement as saying, “We’ll be expanding our self-driving pilot [to Arizona] in the next few weeks… and we’re excited to have the support of Gov. Ducey.”

Ducey is a supporter of self-driving technology, believing it will have benefits for disabled drivers and will increase productivity for businesses. Last year he signed on order which supports both the testing and operation of self-driving cars in Arizona, and on Dec. 15 he took his first ride in a Waymo self-driving car.

Arizona State University