It’s not all that bad growing up in Scottsdale, Arizona

More than just a desert

Professional golf, Super Bowl, and Barrett-Jackson are just some major things that make Scottsdale, AZ unique in its own way. Being in a town that is a major tourist attraction to people across the country and around the world makes growing up different than those raised in a small town.

To some people, Scottsdale is just a small city around the Phoenix area, but it is much more than that, allow me to explain. Scottsdale is in a valley guarded by monstrous mountains and shady palm trees. This valley is called “The Valley of the Sun” and it is home to major attractions such as the Waste Management open, University of Phoenix Stadium, WestWorld of Scottsdale, and much more. All these venues host major events throughout the year which attracts thousands of people from around the world

Fifteen minutes from my house is WestWorld of Scottsdale. WestWorld host tons of great events such as weddings, proms, and business party’s and much more. The most anticipated event for WestWorld staff is Barrett-Jackson. Barrett-Jackson is one of the biggest car auctions in the world. Fast Cars, fancy cars, luxury cars and exotic cars are nothing short of expected at this event. Barrett-Jackson easily exceeds millions of dollars by the end of the event. This event brings a lot of revenue into the city through restaurants and shopping. The incredible attraction this event has, brings thousands of people to the city to back up traffic and keep Scottsdale alive.

A field of prancing horses @concorsoitaliano @ferrariusa @ferrari #BarrettJackson #citaliano2016 #Ferrari #ferrariworld #supercar #supercars #carsofinstagram #carporn #carselfie

A photo posted by Barrett Jackson (@barrett_jackson) on Aug 20, 2016 at 6:04pm PDT

The Waste Management Open is a golf tournament hosted by the Professional Golfers’ Association or PGA yearly in February. This golf tournament is held at the Tournament players’ club golf course in Scottsdale across the street from the Scottsdale airpark which is about seven minutes from my house. This golf course has a beautifully maintained course with excellent Arizona scenery such as cacti, palm trees, gravel, and much more.

Every year around Christmas time the course takes a transition from a players’ club to a largely watched television shoot. People from all over the country come to this spot to enjoy the weather and watch the best golfers in the world compete for the title. University of Phoenix stadium may not be a big tourist attraction, but that’s not until the most watched event in the world comes to town. Since its opening in 2006, the University of Phoenix Stadium has hosted numerous Super Bowls, a Pro Bowl, WrestleMania, the Fiesta Bowl, College football Championship, Monster Jam, a few notable concerts, and much more all in its short lifetime. All of that takes place about twenty-five minutes from my house. Those incredible events bring thousands of tourist and sports fans to the valley to bring revenue and money into the city. On top of all these events happening, the weather never seems to disappoint. Actually, that is a lie, but not a complete lie.

August in Scottsdale

You see summers in the valley are intense reaching record breaking temperatures, but only for about three to four months. Arizona winters are a dry seventy-five degrees with a slow wind chill making it a beautiful time to eat dinner outside, and go for a run or even play a game of basketball at the park. That is exactly what the weather is like up until about may, then the heat starts to kick in and everyone goes to California for the summer. Growing up in Scottsdale had its perks of course, but the major tourist attractions and events happening to make it difficult trying to get to work sometimes, or even school which is right across the street. I would not have traded for anything except for less traffic because Super Bowl traffic is the worst.

University of Arizona