Youtube star Christian Pierce talks about his time at Arizona

‘Be your own opportunity’

Youtube stars Christian Pierce and Jimmy Tatro once roamed the halls of the University of Arizona. Both of these men were active members of the fraternity Pi Kappa Phi, and both become major hits in Hollywood. Jimmy Tatro — as seen in 22 Jump Street or the newly released film Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland — is a frat boy hero. However, he couldn’t have gotten there alone.

Christian Pierce, the former screenwriter/producer/director for all of Jimmy’s Youtube performances on LifeAccordingtoJimmy, helped him majorly. I decided to get a little more insight into what really goes on in the life of Jimmy and Christian, so I caught up with Christian over FaceTime.

The Tab: What made you guys want to start this YouTube channel? What sparked the idea?

Christian: Well, we had a bunch of funny ideas and we loved making people laugh, so we thought it would be cool to make a weekly video for people to watch. We started the frat skits, which got great reviews, and that’s when Jimmy and I became more serious about it. We decided to do more, and because we enjoyed the work we did so much, it became more fun than it did a chore.

How was it being constantly asked for pictures on campus?

Ha. It was definitely very flattering. Sometimes it was a bit annoying, depending on who the person was, but it was flattering even if inconvenient. When I was trying to have fun at a party with my buddies or going to the gym, I was asked for pictures and it was fun to see people get excited about it.

Do you feel just as important as Jimmy or overshadowed at times?

I don’t at all feel overshadowed by Jimmy. I feel just as important because we really put the same amount of effort into everything. Jimmy and I  write, produce, direct everything as a team. We work as one unit and it’s great.

What was one of your favorite memories at the University of Arizona?

That’s a really, really tough question. There were so many great things about the school, it’s hard to rule one memory out. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be Homecoming week. It was a very laid back weekend full of great vibes. I really enjoyed seeing all of my old friends that had graduated and of course it was a great way to party.

Any tips for the college grads?

For all of those graduating, please don’t wait around for an opportunity. Don’t sit there idly [trying to] figure out what you want to do with your life, just go out there and do something, be your own opportunity.

University of Arizona