The ultimate bucket list for freshman year at App State

How to make your friends at Western jealous

Boone, NC is the most amazing town to go to school in. There’s amazing scenery, a great community feel, an endless supply of people trying to save the environment and a long list of things to do.

Here are a few things you should definitely experience before your freshman year at App State comes to end.

Hike Rough Ridge

There are so many amazing trails to hike in and around Boone, but Rough Ridge is one of the most accessible to all. It’s an uphill hike the whole way, but the views are 100% worth it. It’s a relatively easy hike as well, meaning all hikers with different levels of experience can join. The views are magnificent and the pictures will make all your friends at Western jealous.

Waffle Saturday at Trivette

After a night of partying or studying or whatever it is you freshmen do these days, waffles are always a good idea. Trivette has shorter lines and a great waffle station that’s worth the walk. Top it with fruit or peanut butter or just syrup and you’ve got yourself a breakfast of champions.

All-nighter in the library

This isn’t the most fun thing on the list, but it’s definitely one that happens to all of us. Hopefully it’ll happen once and then you can cross it off your list. Just remember to keep hydrated, full of snacks, and surround yourself with friends that will keep you awake. The night time security guards are also really friendly so that is a plus.

Eat ice cream on King Street

There’s something that makes ice cream taste better when it’s below freezing outside. Or maybe King Street Creamery just has especially good ice cream. Either way, when you need a sweet treat, ice cream on King Street is the way to go.

Drink Bald Guy Brew coffee

Bald Guy has a really cool vibe as it’s attached to a bead and jewelry shop. It also has unique tabletops and the coffee is REALLY good. They even gave some beans to Appalachian Mountain Brewing Company to make a special beer with. It was delicious. It’s a great place to hang out with friends and enjoy a hot drink.

Experience the Jones House

The Jones House is one of the highlights of the Boone community, from summer concerts, to weekly jam sessions, to speakers and art exhibits. It is a beautiful house inside and out and offers a rich cultural experience to anyone who visits.

Go swimming at Linville Falls, Trash Can Falls or any waterfall or swimming hole

The mountains offer an amazing range of swimming holes and waterfalls that you can actually swim in or hike around, giving you great photo opportunities and a great experience with nature. Take advantage of the few warmer days at the end of the year or come back up for a visit in the summer to play around in the falls.

Watch the sunset on the parkway

There are no words to describe how beautiful the Blue Ridge Mountains are when the sun is setting over them. Thunderhill Overlook is an amazing place to take a walk and lounge around watching the sunset. Cone Manor is another amazing place on the parkway to visit to watch the sun rise or set.

Shop around at the Farmers Market

Boone puts on an array of different farmers markets throughout the year, and every one is worth visiting. From sunflowers to pumpkins, homemade jewelry to jellies and jams, the farmers market has everything you could want, and it’s all fresh and local, something we boonies pride ourselves on.

Shop at any boutique on King Street

The shops up and down King Street are as unique as the array of students at the university. There is something for everyone and most of the shops support local artists or families. In between excursions, you can stop at ODB or Hob Knob, or Boone Bagelry for some authentic Boone food.

Appalachian State University