App State is moving to gender-neutral Homecoming titles

There will be no more ‘King’ and ‘Queen,’ and many disagree with the change

Appalachian State University is moving from the traditional Homecoming King and Queen to a gender-neutral title called “Homecoming Royalty” for the first time this year. And a lot of students aren’t happy about it.

Instead of a set number of men and women on the court, there are now nine students selected to be a part of the new Homecoming Royalty court. Voting is happening until Thursday at 5pm, and whoever receives the most votes will be crowned “Top of the Rock” at the game against Idaho on October 22.

Appalachian State’s mission statement set a goal to “promote a spirit of inclusion that inspires students, faculty and staff to form relationships extending well beyond graduation.” The change to the Homecoming Court was created based off of this idea of inclusion.

“In celebration of the university’s commitment to inclusion, we will be selecting nine individuals who represent the best of the best that Appalachian State has to offer. Our pool of candidates will focus on who brings the most to our campus,” App State’s Homecoming website said.

The individuals will be chosen based on the criteria of academic success, campus involvement, community involvement, a written essay addressing the journey toward success at Appalachian and support of peers also on that journey, a personal interview and the student body vote. Rather than gender having a factor in these criteria, only one student will be chosen in recognition of their outstanding achievements.

In response to this new system, students weighed in on social media. The Appalachian created a poll on their Twitter account asking “Do you agree with the recent changes to Homecoming?” Out of 279 votes, 80 percent voted they disagree with the new system.

Appalachian State University is not the only school that has decided to switch to a gender-neutral Homecoming Court. The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has done the same.

Appalachian State University